Applications for the English Language Assistants programme will re-open in the autumn of 2018.
Why choose Germany?
Germany has a lot to offer, from the scenic highlights of the Bavarian Alps to the lively cities of Berlin, Frankfurt and Hamburg. The 16 Bundesländer (states) of Germany boast some of the most attractive areas of Europe. Living in Germany also gives you a chance to witness Europe’s largest and strongest economy first-hand. It is well known for its reliable public transport system too, making Germany an excellent base for exploring the rest of central Europe.
- Posts in Germany are in secondary schools, with a very small number of postings in the primary and adult sectors.
- You will be in post from 1 September to 31 May. You will work around 12 hours per week.
- Shorter posts are available for the first semester of the year. Placements for the first semester usually run from 1 September to 28 February. For the shorter period of appointment it is not possible to leave the post early or finish before 28 February.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Germany, you must fulfil the general eligibility criteria, be aged 30 or under and have B1 level German.
Where can I go?
Around 260 posts are available each year in Germany in all areas of the 16 Bundesländer (federal states).
Candidates for Germany have the following regions to choose from: Nord, Süd, Ost, West, Berlin. You may also select 'No Preference'.
You must choose three options from the list of geographical regions in bold below, ranking them in your order of preference. If you are placed in one of your three geographical preferences, you should expect to be allocated anywhere within the given region, as the town and school allocation will be decided by the Länder. Please note you will only be considered for Berlin if it is your first choice.
Nord: Bremen (HB), Hamburg (HH), Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (MV), Niedersachsen (NI), Schleswig- Holstein (SH).
Süd: Baden-Württemberg (BW), Bayern (BY), Hessen (HE).
Ost: Brandenburg (BB), Sachsen (SN), Sachsen-Anhalt (ST), Thüringen (TH).
West: Nordrhein-Westfalen (NW), Rheinland-Pfalz (RP), Saarland (SL)
Berlin: Berlin (BE)
Our download below shows the geographical location of each region.
BEFORE MAKING YOUR REGIONAL CHOICES
If you have already had contact with a particular school in Germany, you should enclose a letter from them with your application form. You will be able to explain and give reasons for your preferences in the application form.
The final decision on where you will be placed rests with our German partner organisation and the Länder. We are not able to guarantee you will be placed in any particular region or school. We recommend you research the different regions of Germany thoroughly before applying.
How much will I be paid?
You can expect to earn approximately €800 per month net.
Will I be interviewed?
Some candidates, including those who have been educated outside the UK, may be assessed by telephone interview if areas of their application need to be followed up. These telephone interviews are likely to take place from February to April.
When will I hear back?
- February: You will receive an email from us confirming receipt of your application.
- April/May: You will find out whether your application has been forwarded to our German partner organisation.
- June: We will inform you of the Bundesland (region) to which you have been allocated.
- August: You will find out the location of your post directly from the Bundesland.
Will there be an induction course?
Our partner agency will invite you to a compulsory four-day induction course near Cologne in August or September.
The course will cover all the necessary administration for living in Germany and give you the opportunity to learn and practise teaching skills. On arrival, you will need to pay a small cost (about €35) to cover your accommodation and meals.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.