Find up to date programme information in our response to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Applications for the 2020-21 academic year are now closed.
The deadline for references was Wednesday 12 February 23.59 UK time.
Every year, around 2,500 language assistants from the UK support the teaching of English in 14 countries around the world.
We offer the opportunity to teach English overseas on a paid six-month or one-year placement working as a language assistant.
As an English Language Assistant, you will:
- strengthen your CV
- improve your fluency in another language
- gain a number of skills including communication, presentation, time management, organisation, teamwork, and problem-solving
- immerse yourself in another culture and improve your cultural awareness
- develop professional confidence
Teaching time is limited to between 12 and 20 hours a week, giving you plenty of time to experience the country and pursue other interests. Many language assistants use their time abroad productively, from starting a small business to appearing on TV.
Looking to apply?
If you are considering applying to be an English Language Assistant in 2020-21, we recommend that you follow the below steps:
- Check your eligibility
- Research where you can go
- Read what our former assistants have to say
- Read the Language Assistant Code of Conduct
- Read our application guidance
- Contact your referee to ensure they are available to submit a reference for you
- Submit an application by 16.00 GMT on 5 February 2020 at the latest. Applications are now closed.
- Keep an eye on your emails and know when you can expect to hear from us