Photo of a modern language assistant in the classroom

Modern Language Assistants are speakers of French, German, Irish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish who can help students in the UK build their cultural capital by developing their linguistic and cross-cultural skills. They are an additional resource for you in the classroom giving context to language learning, talking about their experiences in their home culture and inspiring students to develop their ability to communicate their own world views. 

In addition to this, insight shows that a language assistant makes a significant difference to exam results and learning outcomes.

The British Council can help you with the process involved in selecting and hosting a language assistant. These pages will give you the information you need and our Language Assistant team is here to give you year-round support and advice. 

Introduce a language assistant to your classroom to enhance language learning and enrich pupil experience. With our flexible options and support, we want language assistants to work for you.

[the Chinese language assistant] is just playing such a huge and significant role. It means that we’ve been able to do some really interesting extra things in our class. We’ve brought in some qigong calligraphy and a lovely tea ceremony that she puts on once a month." Keri Bosley, director of learning and achievement for languages at Crickhowell School in Wales.