This page is for applicants who have previously worked, or are currently working, as an English Language Assistant and who wish to apply for the 2024-25 programme.
The way you complete your application depends on whether you are a consecutive, non-consecutive, or first-time applicant:
- Consecutive applicants are those participating in the 2023-2024 programme.
- Non-consecutive applicants are those who participated in the programme prior to 2023-2024.
- If you have not participated in the programme previously or are applying for the first time, this information does not apply and you should instead refer to the How to apply to be an English Language Assistant page.
It is only possible to be a Language Assistant recruited via this programme a maximum of four times, regardless of whether the posts were in the same or different countries. Both consecutive and non-consecutive years will be counted.
A consecutive year in the same country is only possible for applicants in Austria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain.
All consecutive and non-consecutive applicants are required to upload a reference from their former or current host institution to their application. The reference from your current or most recent host institution must comment on your performance as an assistant and state that the school would recommend you for another year on the programme. The reference must be dated, signed, and stamped by the school and should be on school letter headed paper. Your application may be unsuccessful if this reference is unsatisfactory.
I am a consecutive year applicant wishing to stay in the same country
- France: Information for how to apply for 2024-25 will be updated in January 2024 on the Pour un renouvellement de contrat section of France Education International . You may ask to remain at the same school or request a change.
- Canada: contact Éducation Internationale to express interest by end of February 2024.
- Spain: You must apply through British Council only, not Profex. Follow the instructions in this Consecutive Spain guidance document .
- Austria: please apply directly through the OeAD/BMBWF.
- Germany: please contact the PAD directly with a request to apply for a consecutive year.
- Colombia: ELAs applying for a consecutive year are now limited to 2 years in total. You must apply through the British Council. Follow the Consecutive Colombia guidance document to see how you should apply.
- Chile: you must apply through the British Council. Follow the Consecutive Chile/Colombia guidance document to see how you should apply.
- Switzerland: please contact Movetia for further information on how to submit a request and application with them.
Additional information - Spain
Assistants wishing to renew should be aware that, although the British Council passes on your renewal request, the ultimate decision on your allocation lies with the Spanish authorities. If you’ve been a Language Assistant in the Spain programme before, please note that in some Spanish regions there is a limit to the number of years you can participate in the programme. See more information below.
Aragón, Andalucía, Madrid*, País Vasco, La Rioja
Language Assistants cannot participate in the programme in Aragón, Andalucía, Madrid*, País Vasco or La Rioja for more than two school years, consecutive or not. If you have already been a Language Assistant in one of these regions for two years, you may only apply to a different region, so long as you do not exceed the maximum four years as a Language Assistant.
*Madrid have additional application processes which apply to consecutive year applicants in the region of Madrid. See Consecutive Spain guidance document for more information at the bottom of the page.
Islas Baleares, Islas Canarias, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León,Galicia, Valencia, Murcia
Language Assistants cannot participate in the programme in Islas Baleares, Islas Canarias, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León,Galicia, Valencia or Murcia for more than three school years, consecutive or not. If you have already been a Language Assistant in one of these regions for three years, you may only apply to a different region, as long as you do not exceed the maximum four years as a Language Assistant.