This page is for applicants who have previously worked, or are currently working, as an English Language Assistant and who wish to apply for the 2021/22 programme.
First-time applicants should refer to our usual eligibility requirements for the programme.
Please note that it is only possible to be a Language Assistant recruited via this programme a maximum of four times, regardless of whether the posts were in the same or different countries. Both consecutive and non-consecutive years will be counted.
How you apply will depend on whether you:
- are a Language Assistant
- have been a Language Assistant in the past
- would like to return to the same country. This is only possible for applicants in Austria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Mexico
- would like to apply to a different country.
Please read our guidance to determine which route you should take. Also note that:
- all former and current assistants are required to upload a reference from their former/current host institution. This can often take time to be produced and signed so we advise requesting this at least a month before the deadline. Your application will be marked as incomplete without this
- consecutive applicants (current Language Assistants) will not need to supply details of an additional referee, and should see below for how to complete the ‘referee details’ section of the application form.
all successful candidates, including former or consecutive assistants, must apply for an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) before taking up their post. This is a form of criminal record check. Do not apply for the ICPC until we instruct you to. This will cost approximately £75.00. Please refer to our eligibiliy requirements for more information. Consecutive applicants must obtain a valid ICPC regardless of whether they applied through the British Council or through one of our partner organisations.
Last updated 27 October 2020.