This page is for centres who are not yet accredited by the British Council and it summarises the information you have to supply at each of the three application stages. It also provides you with templates that enable you to self evaluate your eligibility before you start your application.
Apply to become an accredited centre
Before you apply
You can self evaluate your organisation against the inspection criteria. Use this template to see if your centre meets the requirements.
Self evaluation template 2018-19 (Word 327KB)
Applying for inspection (Stage 1)
/sites/default/files/inspection_documentation_and_guidance.pdfYou need to download, complete and submit the:
2. Declaration of legal and regulatory compliance (Word 35KB)
3. First application checklist (Word 84KB).
4. People to be seen form (Word 69KB)
5. Information sharing agreement (Word 28KB)
The table below shows the application deadlines for certain inspection months.
|“If you are interested in submitting an application for accreditation, please contact the Accreditation Unit at email@example.com to find out how we are adapting inspection procedures in response to Covid-19.”|
Until further notice, any applications for inspection and supporting documentation should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep a copy of your application as a reference and backup.
If you have already had a first inspection and have been advised to apply for a supplementary inspection, you will need a Supplementary inspection application form(Word 75KB).
Where centres have 'Points to be addressed' on an inspection report, an appropriate action plan (Word 58 KB), will be submitted in preparation for the next inspection. This plan will include a timeframe and will form part of the next inspection.
Preparing for inspection (Stage 2)
We will inform you when your application has been checked and is in order. We will then pass it to the Inspections Co-ordinator to arrange your inspection. You must then send both inspectors inspection preparation documentation (PDF 1MB)
Most inspection documentation is provided electronically. Please follow the instructions on sending documentation (PDF 170KB)
Template forms are provided for some of these items:
Academic staff profile spreadsheet (Word 97KB)
List of staff template (Excel 45KB)
Organisation profile (Word 30KB)
Organisation profile for multi centres (Word 130KB) - (See Inspection support page for guidance document)
Organisation plan template (Word 21KB)
- Self evaluation template 2018-19 (Word 327KB)
Preparing for inspection (Stage 2 - rationales)
You must submit rationales for members of the academic staff whose qualifications do not meet Scheme requirements for their roles. These requirements are set out in criteria T1, T2 and T4 and further information is provided in the Criteria, requirements and guidance document.
Rationale forms are provided for:
1. A teacher who does not have a general level of education normally represented by a Level 6 qualification on the Ofqual register of Regulated Qualifications (Word 37KB).
2. A teacher who does not have the ELT/TESOL qualifications appropriate to the courses they are teaching (Word 38KB).
3. A sole academic manager (i.e. where there is only one person in charge of academic management) who is not TEFLQ and/or does not have a minimum of three years full-time relevant teaching experience (Word 45KB).
4. An academic management team leader (where there is a formally constituted team involved in academic management) who is not TEFLQ and/or does not have a minimum of three years full-time relevant teaching experience (Word 53KB).
5. A member of an academic management team who is not TEFLQ and/or does not have a minimum of three years full-time relevant teaching experience (Word 49KB).
NB Criterion T4 states that “at least one person (in an academic management team) will have....a TEFLQ qualification”. Rationales for TEFLI members of the academic management team with a Level 6 qualification and the required experience (see T4 above) will normally be accepted if they are supported by a TEFLQ member of the team and are carrying out duties appropriate to their level of qualification. The rationale is needed to clarify their qualifications, experience, and deployment.
If you need to check the qualifications of academic staff you can use the form below
Qualifications evaluation (Word 42KB)
During the inspection (Stage 3)
There are no specific forms for stage 3 - please see the here (PDF 188 KB) for the full list of documentation inspectors will want to see during the inspection. Inspectors will sample files and records to obtain evidence that criteria are met.
If you would like further information on the application stages, you can download our Pre inspection advice sheet (PDF 114KB)
Feedback on inspections
We welcome your feedback on the inspection process. Please complete the online survey to tell us about your experience.