A year as a Language Assistant gives students the opportunity to develop transferrable skills that will make their CV stand out from the crowd.
University students must meet the general criteria which includes having spent 5 of the last 10 years in the UK , and be highly proficient in English (C2 level). Teaching opportunities are available in 14 destinations and students do not need a formal language qualification to become a Language Assistant.
Promoting the programme to your students
UK higher education institutions, especially study abroad co-ordinators, faculty members and career offices, can raise awareness of the programme and its benefits by highlighting:
- Chile is no longer available as a destination
- Candidates must have lived in the UK at some point in their life for a total of two years prior to application
- Knowledge of UK culture will be assessed through questions in the application form
- Minimum qualifications are A Level, Scottish Highers or Equivalent. However some destinations have additional academic requirements.
- There is no longer a target destination language requirement for Spain, Hong Kong and China. Applicants need to be highly proficient in English - C2 level
- Austria, Germany and Switzerland is now A2 in the target language
- The reference deadline for 2022/23 is a week following the applicant submission deadline
- As well as two completed years at university, other minimum qualification equivalents are welcomed as specified on our website
In the sections below, you will find an outline of what universities are required to do in order for your students to take part in this programme.