The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. Our business activities have an impact on the environment and we are committed to managing and minimising that impact.
We audit the management of our UK properties against procedures, objectives and targets developed to reduce our environmental impact. Through our Environmental Management System we have achieved ISO14001 certification across our UK estate.
The British Council is committed to:
• reviewing, understanding, and controlling the range of environmental impacts arising from its activities
• ensuring that it complies with UK and international environmental legislation
• improving the environmental performance of its properties, reducing energy, water and waste
• communicating its progress in reducing its environmental impact to internal and external stakeholders
• taking account of environmental and sustainability factors in its procurement
• monitoring and improving the environmental impact of its business travel and exploring new ways of delivering its work sustainably.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.
This global policy statement was approved by Sir Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive, in February 2016 and is due for review in February 2017.