The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
We engage with leaders, institutions, youth and communities in a constructive response to global environmental challenges through arts, culture and education. This is underpinned by our own ethical operations to reduce our environmental footprint.
The British Council is committed to:
- understanding and managing our significant environmental impacts, risks and opportunities arising from our activities
- developing objectives, targets and plans to continually improve our environmental performance and deliver our ambitions
- continually improving our environmental performance and monitoring, reviewing and reporting progress against our objectives and targets
- communicating our ambitions and environmental performance to relevant internal and external stakeholders and taking into consideration the views of our interested parties, customers and stakeholders
- ensuring compliance with UK and relevant international environmental legislation and delivering against the UK Greening Government Commitments.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this global policy statement and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.
This policy was approved by Scott McDonald, Chief Executive, in April 2023 and is due for review in March 2024