The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
Our activities have an impact on the environment and we are committed to managing and minimising that impact.
We audit the management of our UK properties against procedures, objectives and targets developed to reduce our environmental impact. Through our Environmental Management System we are able to benchmark the performance of our UK estate.
The British Council is committed to:
- reviewing, understanding and controlling the range of environmental impacts arising from its activities
- ensuring that it complies with UK and relevant international environmental legislation
- improving the environmental performance of its properties globally, reducing energy, water and waste
- communicating its progress in reducing its environmental impact to internal and external stakeholders
- taking account of environmental and sustainability factors in its procurement
- monitoring and improving the environmental impact of its business travel and
- exploring new ways of delivering its work sustainably.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.
This global policy statement was approved by Sir Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive, in March 2019 and is due for review in March 2020.