The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
We recognise that appropriate use of media and social media contributes to the British Council’s aims.
We use media and social media in two main ways:
- to promote the British Council and its services
- to engage directly with audiences through a range of digital and learning channels including personal channels used in a professional capacity.
The British Council is committed to:
- maintaining a professional social media presence, with staff abiding by our Code of Conduct and other relevant policies and guidance
- ensuring the British Council’s official media and social media presence is readily identifiable through appropriate branding
- communicating with its media and social media audiences and answering their queries in a timely manner
- communicating to employees the rules they must follow when using personal or professional social media.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this global policy statement and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and ensure good practice.
This global policy statement was approved by Scott McDonald, Chief Executive, in April 2023 and is due for review in March 2024.