This is an interesting opportunity for an African and UK organisation that are keen on shifting narratives of Africa and the UK, working with young people, and doing exciting and rewarding work, to collaborate on the delivery of this project.
New Narratives builds new, reciprocal knowledge, and facilitates new and stronger connections between young people across the countries of Africa and the UK. This is done through a series of online and offline activities that stimulate mutually beneficial collaborations and relationships in arts, culture, and education, as well as economic benefits for both Africa and the UK.
As part of the programme launch, we kicked off a youth-led, and youth-focused dialogue series called ‘In Conversation:’ The dialogue series are semi-formal conversations that offer young people:
- insights on thematic areas of the New Narratives Programmes
- a platform to contribute to the ongoing conversations and amplify youth voices
- an opportunity to lead important conversations about narratives of Countries of Africa and the UK
As part of our 2022 programme for New Narratives, we would be delivering six 'In Conversation:' dialogue series targeted at young people aged 18 - 35 in countries of Africa (SSA & MENA) and the UK.
The purpose of the dialogue series is to:
- Continue the youth-led and youth-focused discourse around New Narratives of Africa and the UK;
- Have relevant conversations around the New Narratives Programme's thematic areas;
- Engage young people in countries of Africa and the UK; and
- Platform new voices from countries of Africa and the UK.
The expected outcomes from work are:
- increased visibility of the New Narratives content commission amongst young people in countries of Africa and the UK
- increased digital footprint and engagement for the New Narratives amongst our young audience through multi-platform publishing of works credited to the British Council
- meaningful engagement, exchange, and conversations as part of the dialogue series
- an opportunity for knowledge exchange and learning led by young people in countries of Africa and the UK
- peer-to-peer exchange amongst young people in countries of Africa and the UK.
- amplification of new stories and platforming of new voices and faces of young people in countries of Africa and the UK
- an opportunity for the British Council and the New Narratives Programme to be positioned as leaders in the types of conversations and engagement.
The dialogue series features young people from varying walks of life from Sub-Saharan Africa, MENA, and the UK.
Algeria, Botswana, England, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Libya, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Rwanda, Scotland, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Wales, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
We are seeking applications from African and UK-based organisations that have a good track record of delivering similar projects, and an excellent network in the cultural and creative industry.