From selecting the perfect candidate to handling visas, administrative matters and pastoral care, we are here to answer your questions and help you become a successful host institution.
We offer year-round help and advice and do not charge any programme fees to take part. Recruit your language assistant through us and enjoy a host of additional support.
We help with recruitment
All of our language assistants apply through one of our overseas partner organisations and go through a rigorous application and recruitment process. Once their application is assessed and approved, we work in close conjunction with our partners to allocate the most suitable candidate to your institution. During this process, we take into account any details or specific requests you listed in your application as well as the candidate’s qualifications and preferences.
In addition, we also support institutions participating in the programme with the following:
- sample templates for offer of appointment letters and contract. These templates are sent once a language assistant has been allocated to your institution
- administrative support with visa sponsorship for language assistants. Please note that language assistants from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland will also require a visa for their time as a Modern Language Assistant in the UK from 2021-22
- our Modern Language Assistants Information Booklet, which is updated each year and provides guidance for both host institutions and language assistants. The 2020-21 Booklet is available for download at the bottom of the page
- administrative support with visa sponsorship for language assistants from outside the European Economic Area
- sample templates for offer of appointment letters and contracts.
The 2020-21 Booklet is available for download at the bottom of the page. Please be aware that the 2020-21 booklet does not reflect any of the changes made to the programme for the 2021-22 academic year. The updated booklet will be shared with host institutions and language assistants during the months leading up to the start of placements.
Support provided to language assistants
We believe it is important to prepare the language assistants for their time abroad and equip them with the right skills to enhance language learning. We provide the following support to language assistants:
- visa application guidance
- pre-departure webinars, which cover the administrative side of moving to the UK and an introduction to key principles of Child Protection
- induction and training sessions for language assistants on arrival in the UK
- access to additional training days with our UK partners including Goethe Institut, Consejería de Educación and Institut Français
- a support network of other British Council language assistants locally and across the UK
- our Modern Language Assistants Information Booklet, which is updated each year and provides guidance for both host institutions and language assistants. The 2020-21 Booklet is available for download at the bottom of the page.
Resources available for the classroom
We also provide invaluable resources and ideas for fostering international education in classrooms through our online library of language learning resources designed by leading education professionals.