From selecting the perfect candidate to handling visas, administrative matters and pastoral care, we are here to answer your questions and help you become a successful host school.
We offer year-round help and advice and do not charge any programme fees to take part. Recruit your language assistant through us and enjoy a host of additional support.
We help with recruitment
All of our language assistants go through a rigorous recruitment process including interviews and approvals from our overseas partners. We also support institutions participating in the programme with the following:
- sample endorsement letters to help you persuade senior managers that language assistants are a good investment
- administrative support with visa sponsorship for language assistants from outside the European Economic Area
- sample templates for offer of appointment letters and contracts.
These resources will be available for download soon.
Support provided to language assistants
We believe it is important to equip language assistants with the right skills to enhance language learning. We provide the following support to language assistants:
- induction and training sessions for language assistants on arrival in the UK
- access to additional training days with our UK partners including Goethe Institut, Consejería de Educación and Institut Français
- a support network of other British Council language assistants locally and across the UK
- advice on how to claim tax exemptions for language assistants on the official British Council programme.
Resources available for the classroom
We also provide invaluable resources and ideas for fostering international education in classrooms through:
- our online library of language learning resources designed by leading education professionals (available for ages 4-18)
- access to eTwinning, a community of European teachers and pupils to help build partnerships and develop online projects with schools from the language assistant's country (European region only).