Apply to become a Future Leaders Connect member
Becoming a member of the British Council’s Future Leaders Connect programme means you will be part of an exclusive group of exceptional individuals from around the world who are recognised as the next generation of leaders.
Applications for 2021 are now open.
The closing date will vary by country, depending on the number of applications we receive, with a finite deadline of Monday 5 July.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply you must meet the following criteria; (otherwise your application cannot be accepted)
- Living in one of our participating countries (Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Poland, UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales)
- Aged between 25 and 35 (at the start of the programme)
- Able to speak and understand English (no official qualification is required, but you must be able to speak English to IELTS level 7 or equivalent).
What are we looking for in potential members?
We are looking for exceptional individuals with the ideas, energy and commitment to work collaboratively with all members of Future Leaders Connect and senior leaders. The programme aims to be representative of the countries in which it operates, and we encourage applications from all sections of society.
- You should be able to explain how you want to make change in your country and beyond through policymaking
- You should have a good knowledge about policy and how policymaking happens in your country
- You should be willing to engage with the British Council and the Future Leaders Connect network in the long-term
- You are likely to be in your early to mid-career and already have examples of when you have demonstrated leadership ability
- You should have strong networks and be committed to supporting the development of the country you are living in through policy change.
“The experience from the training with Cambridge, to meeting the former Presidents and champions of human rights, MP’s of the UK Houses of Commons, House of Lords and the amazing group of global leaders has been totally amazing. Future Leaders Connect is definitely life-altering, full of learning, full of experiences and fully recommended.”
Future Leaders Connect member
For full details of the application and selection process please visit our Terms and Conditions page.
Completing your online application
Before applying, you will be asked to answer several screening questions to ensure you meet the criteria. If successful, you will receive an email inviting you to make your application. It will take you approximately one hour to complete your online application. Please note, you cannot save and come back to it later, the whole application must be done at once.
Shortlisting and interview
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to interviews/an event in your country (dates to be shared with those shortlisted). At the interview or event you will present your policy vision and explain your leadership experience to a panel of experts. Unfortunately, if you cannot attend the interview/event your application cannot be progressed. There will be some places on the reserves list at this stage.
"We need brilliant minds, we are going to need as many people as possible driving policy change, so do not give it a second thought, apply for Future Leaders Connect."
Future Leaders Connect member
Watch videos from current Future Leaders Connect members to hear about their experiences.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions below.