The Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme has been launched to support eligible individuals in the UK with links to Afghanistan to access higher education.
The UK Government announced ‘Operation Warm Welcome’ on 1 September 2021 to support those who have been relocated to the UK via Operation Pitting to access the vital health, education, and support into employment they need to fully integrate into society.
As part of this support package, a DfE-funded Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme has been established to support those affected to access undergraduate and postgraduate university scholarships in the UK.
The Department for Education (DfE) is working in partnership with the British Council as the UK-wide delivery partner for the scheme.
About the Scholarships
Warm Welcome Scholarships will support eligible scholars to undertake full-time in-person study at UK higher education providers at the following three levels of study:
- Undergraduate: for a maximum of three years, or four years in Scotland
- Taught master's: for a maximum of one year
- PhD: for a maximum of three years
There are two separate programmes in the scheme:
- In-Year Scholarships for eligible scholars who are currently studying in the UK (closed for applications on 20 May 2022)
- Full Degree Scholarships for eligible scholars who will begin their studies in September/October 2022
Please view the webpages below to find out more including full details of scholarship programmes, eligibility criteria and how to apply. Information about the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme is available to download and view in PDF format:
A summary of the Scheme is also available in Welsh: