In primary schools Language Assistants support:
- the introduction of language learning, including implementation of the primary languages strategies in England and Scotland
- different areas of the curriculum, developing projects and enhancing international partnerships
- teachers to improve their language proficiency and cultural knowledge
- Schools and assistants can access a range of our primary language resources, including our new primary languages starter pack
- If your school has never hosted a Language Assistant before you can listen to our introductary webinar to learn more
- Read a blog from a former French assistant based in several primary schools in Angus, Scotland on why language learning at an early age is important
- Read our latest feature, on how the Scottish government is investing in Language Assistants to support their recent language legislation.
In secondary schools Language Assistants:
- help pupils to communicate confidently and spark motivation for language learning
- improve overall standards in language learning, recognised by official inspecting bodies
- enhance teachers’ language and cultural knowledge
- work across the curriculum, develop projects and support international partnerships.
- Listen to our webinar on best practice and how to make good use of hosting an assistant
- Read about the long term impact Language Assistants have had at Methodist College in Belfast as they enter into their fifth decade of hosting.
All schools hosting Language Assistants are eligible for the Foundation Certificate of the British Council International School Award.