Through the National Education Assessment System (NEAS) project we were responsible for assisting in the development of a sample-based national assessment system in Pakistan. Building on previous initiatives, the National Educational Assessment System was a sample-based assessment at class four and class eight levels, in four subjects:
- social studies, Islamiyat and life skills.
A central NEAS unit was responsible for planning and co-ordinating all aspects of the national assessment, from monitoring and controlling quality to preparing the final report. Within each province, a provincial education assessment centre developed test items, carried out administration and marking, collated data and disseminated reports.
We helped build capacity in both the Ministry of Education and the provincial education assessment centres through training; technical assistance; the development of professional teams; and the improvement of the working environment for teams to complete the initial design and testing of the instruments and procedures.
Our in-house team also:
- Designed and delivered courses in assessment through in-country workshops and external Master’s programmes
- Reviewed the process to date of developing NEAS, including reference to international practice and experience
- Worked with government counterparts to identify the capacity required at federal and provincial levels to support the development of NEAS
- Conducted workshops in the writing of competencies, test items and test specifications
- Facilitated curriculum design for certificates
- Established assessment certificates programmes in two local institutions
- Trained three cohorts of students in various certificate programmes.