Information collected at application stage
- The British Council will use the information that you are providing to assess your application, and to deliver the Future News Worldwide 2021 conference and alumni programme.
- The British Council will collect and process your personal information as part of the Future News Worldwide programme application to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria, available on the programme website. This will include name, age, the country in which you live in and whether you are fluent in English.
- The answers will then be used to benefit programme design, and in the production of statistics, which we will publish as research, data reports and in Future News Worldwide promotional materials, as well as for the British Council’s monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
- We will ask you to provide this information through the Guidant Global, our external online application platform.
- The legal basis upon which we will process your personal information for this purpose is that the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract (your agreement with our Terms and Conditions).
- We may contact you by email or on the phone number you provided with regards to your application.
- We may pass this information on to the relevant British Council country teams, programme partners and suppliers in connection with delivering this event and programme.
- We will contact you by email or phone about the conference and to request your Supporting Documents or answer any other questions relevant to the event.
Equality monitoring information
We will also ask you to submit equality and diversity information. This will include personal information about your age, ethnicity, gender and disability (if any) for the purposes of monitoring equality of opportunity. Submission of equality and diversity information is entirely voluntary. Equality and diversity information will be used for monitoring of equality of opportunity and the production of statistics which do not allow you to be identified, and which we will publish as research and in Future Leaders Connect promotional materials. Equality and monitoring information will not be used for any other purpose and will not be used as part of the shortlisting and selection process.
- As part of the Future News Worldwide 2021 programme, the British Council intends to publish the names and photographs of the winning participants on the British Council’s websites, social media, press releases and in other promotional and marketing material. More detailed information may also be made available on a protected alumni site. The information on this website will be password protected, and only available to other Future News Worldwide alumni and partners.
- If necessary, your information including contact details will be shared with the relevant British Council country teams for future engagement. In the event that this is necessary, all relevant legislative requirements around international transfers will be adhered to, as well as any national privacy legislation. This means that if your application is successful your information will be made available worldwide, including in countries which do not have equivalent data protection laws.
- The information you submit as part of your application will be retained for up to 5 years.
- The British Council may send you details of our other activities, services and events (including social events) which might be of interest to you via email.
- We may pass your information to similar third parties, who may then contact you with details of their activities and services.
- We will keep your data for 5 years, and then it will be deleted (excepting statistics which do not allow you to be identified). If you have consented to join our mailing list, or if you are a member of our alumni group (after taking part in the Future News Worldwide programme) we will retain the personal information and review it regularly to ensure it remains necessary for us to hold. You can remove your consent for us to hold your data at any time by contacting Future News Worldwide team at FutureNewsWorldwide@britishcouncil.org.
- Under UK Data Protection law you have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold on you, and the right to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in that information. For further information about how the British Council processes your personal data, please refer to the privacy section of our website: www.britishcouncil.org/privacy, or contact your local British Council office.