International Fashion Showcase 2013
1st – 28th February
The International Fashion Showcase, launched in February 2012 by the British Fashion Council (BFC) and the British Council will again take place during London Fashion Week (LFW). 27 embassies will display the work of over 110 international emerging designers. The public, together with international press and buyers, will have the opportunity to explore these innovative collections throughout the month of February.
Participating countries include Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Denmark, Estonia, Jamaica, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Vietnam.
Each country has been asked to present a showcase of emerging designers whom they feel most represents the future of fashion in their region. A voting committee chaired by Sarah Mower MBE, BFC Ambassador for Emerging Talent and Contributing Editor to US Vogue, will award the winning country on Sunday 17th February at the official BFC catwalk venue in Somerset House during LFW.
A map indicating the 27 showcases around London along with a guide and ‘passport’ stamped at each venue, will allow visitors to follow the International Fashion Showcase around the capital. These can be downloaded from the British Council http://backoftheenvelope.britishcouncil.org and the British Fashion Council www.britishfashioncouncil.com/internationalfashionshowcase website.
Highlights of the showcase include:
• Austria – Another Austria presents an overview of the country’s fashion scene. Displaying pieces by both young and established designers, the exhibit offers a unique angle on the country’s blossoming fashion industry.
• Argentina – Housed in the British Council Gallery in Spring Gardens, this exhibition will present the work of nine designers from different regions in the country, echoing the breadth of the landscape’s natural beauty.
• Denmark, Norway and Sweden - Presenting a joint showcase entitled Fashion Scandinavia Movement; the exhibition heralds a new movement in fashion and the impact of Scandinavian designers onto the world fashion scene.
• Estonia – Four ‘creative ambassadors’ will explore innovative ways of presenting Estonian emerging fashion through the medium of fashion film, storytelling and set design.
• The Netherlands – Three designers will showcase collections that demonstrate their innovative approaches to new technologies, sustainable design and traditional craftsmanship.
• Nigeria - An exhibition called Woven Threads which looks into the future of Nigeria’s fashion industry exploring the art of textile craftsmanship, an integral part of the country’s heritage.
• Portugal – A selection of designers, from current fashion students to the established, will show work representing Portugal’s up and coming fashion industry.
Sarah Mower MBE, BFC Ambassador for Emerging Talent and contributing editor Vogue US, commented, “The shows offer a collective welcome to everyone with an interest in fashion, whether professional or not. London has developed its reputation as a supporter of the future of fashion by being open to ideas and innovation from everywhere - as a city we are multi-cultural, our art colleges are a magnet for international students and we are always thrilled to be able to get the first glimpse of the new.”
Last year’s inaugural International Fashion Showcase took place in embassies and cultural institutes London-wide. Developed to celebrate the year of the Olympics and Paralympics, it formed part of the Fashion 2012 cultural programme; honouring its values of international respect, excellence, equality and friendship.
The International Fashion Showcase is the first official collaboration between the British Council and the BFC.