2006 to 2011
EU China Social Security Reform Co-operation Project
Through the China Social Security Reform Co-operation Project we worked to strengthen China’s institutional capacity for social security policy development and administration. The team also focused on making replicable improvements to social security systems in selected provinces.
The project made available international expertise to support:
• policy making on coverage and access, financial sustainability
• the management and administration of old age pensions, health and unemployment insurance.
Working with policy
Importantly, the project worked in line with the Chinese government’s policy of improving existing social security provision and its management.
Furthermore, selected provincial governments that are working on policy improvements will be supported in running pilots so that they can practically benefit from international know-how and good-practice.
Based on the outcomes and improvements from the pilots, the project team will:
• prepare a framework for the replication of best practices
• provide advice on the incorporation of the results into national policy guidelines
• support the development of competency-based training programmes
• train future trainers for the planned national social security training centre.