Evaluation Consultant: Higher Education Pilot Project
We are seeking an external Evaluation Consultant to evaluate the Andhra Pradesh Higher Education Project, which aims to improve the English language and employability skills of students.
|Location||Home-based with travel to India required|
|Duration||15 January 2018 - 31 May 2018|
|Closing date||Monday 18 December 2017|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Andhra Pradesh Higher Education (APHE) Project is a 15-month large-scale blended-learning pilot that aims to improve the English language and employability skills of students at higher education colleges in Andhra Pradesh, India. The learners participate in online and face-to-face modules, with built-in language assessment using the British Council’s Aptis test. A cadre of Master Trainers and cohorts of teachers are trained in classroom pedagogy and communicative language teaching methods using a cascade model so that institutional capacity can be built and learners have ongoing access to high quality teaching and learning.
The key objectives of the project are that:
- learners will improve their English, employability and soft skills through a blended training solution and thereby have access to increased opportunities for further education and employment
- teachers will increase their English proficiency and be able to employ methodologies which facilitate better language learning outcomes
- a suitable cadre of Master Trainers will be developed to support the on-going training and professional development of teachers in these colleges on a sustainable basis.
Further information about the project can be found here.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an external evaluator(s) who will assume responsibility for evaluation of the APHE pilot, focusing on the extent to which the overarching objectives have been met and the internal and external factors that have impacted on their achievement or otherwise.
Main tasks will comprise:
- background reading and desk research into project design, planning and reporting to stakeholders including examination of activity and quarterly reports, records of communication, training materials and other relevant documentation
- background reading and desk research into the various means of data collection and analysis with an evaluation of the reliability and effectiveness of these means
- conducting interviews and/or focus groups with key participants and stakeholders in Andhra Pradesh, including learners, teachers, Master Trainers, higher education officials, the internal project team etc
- observation of training sessions
- production of a report which will detail findings identifying strengths, achievements and areas for development for the project and make recommendations for post-pilot interventions within Andhra Pradesh and the potential replicability of the model in India (and elsewhere)
- production of an executive summary and presentation outlining the key findings based in the report.
The consultant will make a five day visit to India in order to meet stakeholders and conduct focus groups and interviews. This is likely to be scheduled in February 2018. Final submission of the reports is expected at the end of May 2018.
The following timeline is expected for this project:
- Planning and initial overview of the project (1 day): February
- Desk research and background writing (3 days): Februray and March
- Visit to India (5 days): February
- First draft of the report received (5 days): April
- Feedback on first draft: April
- Final draft received (2 days): May
Qualifications and experience required
The team welcomes applications from individuals and organisations who fulfil the criteria below:
- At least 10 years’ experience of project evaluation experience including evaluation of education projects involving the use of blended learning
- Experience of designing and analysing relevant evaluation apparatus, analysis of small and larger scale monitoring and evaluation data and producing high quality reports
- Demonstrable ability to undertake complex evaluations in a low-resourced working environment
- Experience of working on English language projects within state educational systems.
- Experience of working on English language projects in India and/or the South Asia region
- Master’s degree in education, English language teaching/teacher development, applied linguistics with an educational focus or equivalent.
How to apply
Interested parties should submit the following by email to Padmaja Shivkumar on email@example.com by 18 December 2017:
- up-to-date CV
- covering letter outlining relevant experience, qualifications and how you would approach this project (max 1000 words)
- sample of similar research work (or relevant links)
- daily rate fee.
Questions may be addressed to Padmaja Shivkumar by 15 December 2017.
Please note that we can only respond to successful applicants and only within five working days of the application deadline.