Thank you for contacting the British Council regarding something you are worried about or that has happened to you or a child while using our services. We know it can be hard to speak out and tell someone when you’re worried about something, but we are here to support and help you. Keeping your personal information safe is very important to us, so here we will explain how we do this (we call it a privacy notice). We want you to know that here at the British Council we take keeping your personal information seriously and that is why we want to explain how we do this.
What we do with your information
- We follow all the laws about personal information in the UK, and those in your home country too, this includes any law and guidance on how long we can keep your information and how we have to keep it safe.
- We use what you tell us to help us understand what has happened and how/if we can help.
- We keep your personal information safe and only a few people who need to know to help us keep people safe can see it.
When we have to tell someone else
- Normally we try to keep people’s information private, but there are times when we have to share what you have told us to keep children, young people and vulnerable adults safe. Sometimes we must speak to other professionals find the best way to help (for example a social worker or a teacher). If we do need to speak with someone else, we will always try to let you know but this might not always be possible if we hear about a child or vulnerable adult that needs to be made safe as soon as possible.
- We only share your information when we really need to, for example, if we believe someone has broken the law or is hurting a child.
You can ask for a copy of the information we hold about you at any time and ask us to change anything that is not correct.
If you want more detail about how we use your information, please see the full version of this notice.
If you want to know more about your rights and how we collect, use and store your personal information, please visit the privacy section of our website.