Tajaawob aims to support Palestinian citizens to hold their authorities to account and to advocate for their interests and rights.
The British Council is the programme manager working with a range of international and Palestinian partners: Oxfam GB, BBC Media Action, Palestinian Vision– Ru’ya (Palvision), The Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy (MIFTAH) and The Coalition for Accountability and Integrity (AMAN).
The project will build on reform processes that are underway within the Palestinian National Authority to support the development of a more inclusive civil society, and will work with marginalised communities to strengthen civil society’s capacity to hold local authorities to account from local to national levels.
Through the programme, we will be:
- Helping civil society groups strengthen the monitoring of public budgeting and spending
- Engaging with the media to better represent excluded groups, helping them advocate for change and connect with decision makers
- Encouraging young people to influence policy by engaging with the Palestinian authorities in a way that encourages responsiveness
- Training civil society activists and organisations in the Campaigning and Advocacy Leadership Programme
- Developing a number of engagement mechanisms to support authorities in working with civil society, in partnership with the Ministry of Planning and Administrative Development, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Education.