The Chair of the British Council, Sir Vernon Ellis, said "The British Council congratulates Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of their son. The Royal Family provide a link to our cultural heritage and are part of our cultural future. It’s wonderful to see so much excitement around the world in the latest addition to our national story”.
Statement on the birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge
Notes to Editor
The British Council's Patron is HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH The Prince of Wales is our vice-patron.
The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. We are a Royal Charter charity, established as the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations.
We work in more than 100 countries, and our 7000 staff – including 2000 teachers – work with thousands of professionals and policy makers and millions of young people every year through English, arts, education and society programmes.
We earn over 75% of our annual turnover of £739 million from services which customers pay for, education and development contracts we bid for and from partnerships. A UK Government grant provides the remaining 25%. We match every £1 of core public funding with over £3 earned in pursuit of our charitable purpose.