Below is a list of frequently asked questions about accessing information held by British Council and the information we rountinely publish on our website.

I am not a UK citizen. Can I access British Council information?

Anyone, anywhere in the world can submit a request for information about the British Council under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. If you cannot find the information on our website, you can make a request for information.

How do I get hold of published information in hard copy?

Requests for printed versions of publications, stating the name(s) of the publication(s) you want, should be addressed to:

Information Governance Advisor (Disclosures)
Information Governance and Risk Managment
British Council
58 Whitworth Street

M1 6BB


Can I access information, held by the British Council, about myself and other individuals?

If you require information about yourself then you should submit a request under the Data Protection Act. See our Privacy Policy for more information.


If you require information about another individual then you should submit a request under the Freedom of Information Act.  


What kind of information is being published?

We aim to publish as much information, about the British Council, as possible at minimum inconvenience and cost. We already publish a great deal of information on our website.

The information I want is not on your website. Why?

The information you require may not have been published for a number of reasons. We may not hold the information or the information might be exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act, Environmental Information Regulations or any other laws. If you would like to make a request or a suggestion, please submit a request to

How do I get access to older or historical information?  

You can send an enquiry (by post or by e-mail) to the Information Governance Advisor (Disclosures), who will respond as soon as possible. Please bear in mind that some older information may have been destroyed in line with British Council records retention guidelines.

Alternatively you could conduct your searches at The National Archives (TNA) in Kew. The British Council transfer any records of interest that are over 30 years old to TNA.

How much do publications cost?

Where there is a charge, the cost will be shown against each item. 

There is a charge for the publication I want, where do I send the money?

This will be clearly stated against the item in question. Unless otherwise stated, do not send money to the British Council.

How do I request additional information about data protection? 

We apply the UK Data Protection Act to all of our global operations unless the local equivalent law is stronger. To find out more, visit our Privacy Policy page. You can also contact our Data Protection Officer:

Senior Information Governance Advisor (Privacy & Security)
Information Governance and Risk Managment
British Council
10 Spring Gardens