We are looking for talented, committed and ambitious teachers of English to work in our centres across the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Our teachers play a vital role in boosting opportunities for young people and adults.
Where could I be teaching?
We run 21 teaching centres in 12 countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Morocco, Oman, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Tunisia and United Arab Emirates.
A career with the British Council is a great way to enjoy the culture, history and hospitality of this fascinating region – and help make a positive difference to its people and communities.
‘I’ve worked for the British Council for four years now. I started as a trainee teacher at the British Council in Cairo before moving to Saudi Arabia and the UAE, where I completed my DELTA and became a teacher trainer; something which the British Council supported me in achieving.’
Am I eligible?
Each role has different criteria, but most require a minimum of:
- a TEFL qualification (we accept the CELTA and Trinity Certificate in TESOL)
- two years' experience of teaching English, after having gained an English language teaching qualification.
Some of our centres run a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) scheme. They accept newly TEFL-qualified candidates and give them the opportunity to gain two years of teaching experience with the British Council.
You can apply online from anywhere in the world.
As well as teaching, there are other career pathways with the British Council, including:
- developing online materials and apps for teachers and learners
- managing teaching centres and projects
- training and mentoring teachers.
What are the benefits?
We offer generous remuneration and benefits, including:
- a competitive salary including housing, relocation and settling-in allowance and air-fares
- excellent personal and professional development opportunities
- on-the-job training
- opportunities to teach learners of different age groups and cultural backgrounds
- steady and consistent career progression
- opportunities to move around our network of teaching centres.
Go to the British Council jobs portal, choose 'External vacancies' then search by 'Job category' for teacher jobs.
For queries relating to recruitment, please email us.