Success in an English exam could make a real difference to your future. Now it’s your turn to set the question. Take part in Our Future, the biggest English exams competition for school-age learners in Europe.
About the competition
We are giving school students and teachers in Europe a chance to write their own English exam speaking question and win fantastic prizes. This year’s competition runs from 01 November 2017 to 31 March 2018.
There are fantastic prizes for students and teachers.
- Students: Win a regional prize of a competition goody bag and a country prize from your local British Council examinations centre.
- Teachers: Win a regional prize of a trip to the UK with entrance to the next IATEFL conference and a country prize from your local British Council examinations centre.
- Extra prizes for the most popular entry and the teacher with the most entries!
Work in a team of three to five and make your own English exam speaking question. The theme of the competition centres on the question: What will your city be like in the future?
For example, teams in category 1 could draw a picture of their city in the future and make an audio telling us what they can see and teams in category 2 could make a video about their city in the future and compare and contrast it with their city now. The task should include a speaking exam question and an answer. Download our teacher packs below for more examples and group work activities for levels from pre-A1 to C2.
- Submit your team’s exam question as a picture and audio file or video file.
- Your team’s speaking question must be similar to one in your English exam.
- You can include people, pictures, photos, music, animation or your own ideas.
- Entries will be judged on content, creativity and presentation.
- Video and audio entries must be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in length.
- Entries must be original work and not use any copyrighted material.
Our Future English exam competition is open to school-age students in Europe. There are two age categories.
- Category 1 (7-12 years old)
- Category 2 (13-18 years old)
Students and teachers wishing to participate must attend a school or institution that is a member of the British Council’s Addvantage member scheme.
How to enter
Teachers can submit team entries between 06 November 2017 and 31 March 2018. Please read the full terms and conditions before entering the competition.
Have you got a question about the competition? Email us at email@example.com
School-age learners and teachers in six countries across Europe took part in this year’s competition. There were 2 regional winning teams, 10 country winning teams, 8 runner-up teams, 2 special mentions and 124 entries.
Congratulations to all the winners selected by a judging panel of Liam Bunce (British Council, LearnEnglish Exams tutor), Jenny Wilde (British Council, LearnEnglish Exams tutor), and Christiane Keilig (British Council Global Digital Content Manager Exams).
Well done to everyone that participated in viewing the entries on our vimeo channel and who ‘liked’ their class’s favourite entry. There were over 10,000 plays and over 2,000 likes.
Participants told us that the competition was motivating and useful for preparing for their English language exam and that they very much enjoyed the experience.
Coming soon we will share news of the prize giving and next year news of the winning teachers’ experience of visiting the IATEFL conference.