We regard the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as important to our successful operations and to the maintenance of confidence of those with whom we deal. As such this statement will apply equally to all of our offices irrespective of where they are based.
We will ensure that our staff and those acting on our behalf obtain, use and disclose personal information lawfully and correctly. To this end we fully endorse and adhere to the principles of data protection, as set out in the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"). We shall apply the Act globally, except where part or all of any local law is stronger.
In particular we will:
- observe the conditions in the Act regarding the fair collection and use of personal information (please see below regarding personal information collected via our website);
- meet our legal obligations to specify the purposes for which we process personal information, this information being set out in our data protection notification particulars which can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website at www.ico.gov.uk;
- collect and process appropriate personal information, only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil our operational needs or to comply with any legal requirement;
- ensure the accuracy of any personal information kept by us;
- apply checks to determine the length of time personal information is held by us;
- ensure that the rights of people about whom personal information is held, are able to be exercised fully under the Act;
- take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information;
- ascertain that personal information is not transferred outside the European Economic Area without suitable safeguards or agreement from the individual.
If we collect personal information via our website, prior to finally submitting any personal information to our website, we will endeavour to ensure that you are informed as to:
- the purpose for collecting the information
- what the information will be used for
- the identity of anyone else to whom the information will be given and what they will use it for
- how you can request copies of any personal information we hold on you.