What is it about?

 If you're a higher education student in the UK, you could apply for an Erasmus+ grant to carry out a work experience placement in a choice of 32 countries across Europe (listed below), and even beyond, as part of your degree.

To UK students of colleges and further education providers taking part in the programme across the European Union, Erasmus+ offers apprenticeships and other vocational training placements .

You get to travel and improve your language skills. Most students are eligible for a grant, you’ll earn credits, and you gain work experience. 

Can I apply?

If you’re in a university with an Erasmus Charter for Higher Education and studying for a higher vocational education course, degree, foundation degree or doctorate, then you can apply.

You can download a list of institutions with the charter from the European Commission.

You can also take part within a year of graduation, provided you apply before graduating.

If you’re in a further education college or vocational training school, enrolled on a part-time or full-time vocational education course, then you can apply. You can also take part within a year of graduating from a VET (vocational education and training) school or VET company, including an apprenticeship.   

Which countries can I work in?

Erasmus+ grants currently cover 32 countries in Europe (outside the UK):

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Turkey

Some students may be able to travel further afield if their university has applied for International Credit Mobility funding. You will need to ask your university Erasmus+ office or representative if this is offered. 

Who can I work for, and for how long?

Who you work for and where you work is fairly flexible.

You can choose to work in most sectors, in private or public companies, schools, trade unions or non-profit organisations.

Higher education work placements and internships should last between two and 12 months.

Vocational work placements for college or further education students can include apprenticeships and training placements at other colleges or workplaces across the 32 countries and can last from two weeks to 12 months.

Erasmus+ will help provide the funding through your institution, but you have to apply for the work placements yourself.

A good place to start your search is Erasmus Intern site, or you could try LEO-NET's Job Offer Exchange platform (JOE+).

Alternatively, you can use your own contacts, but it’s worth having a chat with the Erasmus+ representative at your institution to find out more options.

How much will I get paid?

If you’re a higher education student looking to take up this opportunity in Europe, you can currently receive €380 to €430 a month, depending on the country you visit. You can receive more for travelling outside Europe, if your institution takes part in International Credit Mobility. This should help towards living expenses.

There is an additional €20 per month for disadvantaged students on top of this grant amount.

There is also some additional funding available for students with special needs, which you will need to apply for before you go. Again, it’s best discussed in more detail with your Erasmus+ contact.

There is no fee for taking part.

Further education and vocational training students may receive a per-day rate.

What’s the availability and deadline?

If you’re at university, you should talk to your Erasmus+ representative, who will be able to offer you help and guidance in finding a suitable placement.

If you’re studying a vocational course, you could check with your international office, tutor or student services.