What's it about?
Are you still undecided on your plans after graduation? Spend eight weeks in China on our Generation UK - China autumn programme, learning the Chinese language and gaining meaningful work experience that will look fantastic on your CV – all this while exploring some of China’s most fascinating cities.
Whether you’re looking to get a head-start on mastering the language or boost your career prospects by undertaking an internship in fields such as accounting, business, or marketing, Generation UK - China can help provide the funding for your trip and make sure you make the most of your time in China.
Am I eligible?
Applicants must be:
- A UK citizen/EU home student
- Aged 18 years and above
- Currently enrolled full-time at a UK university or have graduated from a UK university within the past year
- In receipt of or have received a Maintenance Grant from Student Finance or SAAS bursary for Scottish students during their university career
- Not in receipt of any other Generation UK - China funding
Are you ineligible? Check our other opportunities to study or work in China.
What's on offer?
The Generation UK - China autumn programme is a combined programme of three weeks of intensive Mandarin language study at a leading university, followed by a five-week internship placement in an industry sector of your choice.
This programme is designed to give you a good foundation in Chinese language and cross-cultural awareness, before undertaking your internship placement and using your newly acquired language skills to further your understanding of your sector choice in China, and impress your colleagues.
The internships are set up through our partnership with InternChina, who cover a wide variety of sectors, including information technology, legal, marketing, accounting, engineering, pharmaceuticals, fashion, finance, hospitality and many more.
There will be two programmes running this autumn, one in Chengdu and one in Qingdao:
|Chengdu||16 October 2017 - 10 December 2017|
|Qingdao||16 October 2017 - 10 December 2017|
How much funding will I receive?
Generation UK - China funding will cover all language classes, cultural activities, internship placement fees, accommodation and comprehensive travel insurance (a must), as well as your airport pick-up and dedicated support throughout your placement.
You’ll need to budget for your day-to-day expenses, which largely depend on where you’re living and your own lifestyle. Previous interns have been able to get by perfectly happily on the equivalent of about £50 a week, but it’s entirely up to you. You’ll also need to pay for your flights, visa and any other expenses related to your travel.
Why should I apply?
- With 1.4 billion speakers worldwide, Chinese truly is a global language. Graduates who speak more than one language are highly sought-after, and with China’s increasing role in the world market, Mandarin is becoming a favourite among employers.
- Experience in China is increasingly valued by employers. Work experience in China will give you an inside view into Chinese culture and business practice, making you aware of cultural differences and similarities between China and the UK.
- China may soon overtake the USA as the world’s largest economy. Knowledge of Mandarin and a connection with China will improve your career prospects.
- Globalisation causes the job market-place to become more and more competitive. Your experience and understanding of China will make your CV stand out from the crowd.