What's it all about?
UK-German Connection offers two opportunities for young people learning German.
The German Pupil Courses are a two-week opportunity for UK students;
- Course option 1 is open to UK students in Year 12 (England, Wales) / Year 13 (Northern Ireland) / S5 (Scotland)
- Course option 2 is open to UK students in Year 10 (England, Wales) / Year 11 (Northern Ireland) / S3 (Scotland)
The German Scholarships Programme is a four-week opportunity for UK students aged 16+, in their penultimate school year (Year 12 in England and Wales / Year 13 in Northern Ireland / S5 in Scotland).
Taking part provides students with the opportunity to gain first-hand experience of German life and culture and improve their German language skills at the same time.
What will I do?
For each course, the full-time programme of activities includes:
German Pupil Courses
- a homestay with a German family
- daily lessons in a German school
- joint thematic workshops and joint activities with German peers
- excursions and visits to nearby towns and places.
German Scholarship Programme
- an introductory week in Bonn school visits
- project work and activities in mixed international groups
- a two-week home stay with German host families
- visits to museums and famous cities like Cologne, Berlin, Hamburg and Munich.
How much does it cost?
The German Pupil Courses are part-funded by the German government through the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD). Pupils pay a contribution of £300 towards the costs of the programme.
The German Scholarship Programme is fully-funded (including travel, accommodation and course costs) by the German government through the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD).
Can I apply?
To take part you need to:
- have studied German for at least two years (one year for German Pupil Courses – course option 2)
- have a good command of the spoken language and a good general knowledge about Germany
- have good personal, social and intercultural skills
- be a permanent UK resident
How do I apply?
Applications for trips this summer are closed. See the UK-German Connection website for details of the programmes they offer.