Applications for the Students for Social Impact Exchange Programme are now closed.
What is the Students for Social Impact Exchange Programme?
Students for Social Impact is an international exchange programme for students with an idea for a social venture that will address a local problem or global challenge.
Do you have a passion for social innovation and an idea for a social venture to address a local problem or global challenge? You could develop your venture in Canada with an allocated mentor and support system! Students for Social Impact placements provide opportunities for talented students to contribute to life-changing social enterprises in Canada and the UK, gain valuable overseas experience, and connect with other young leaders of the future.
You will gain real-world experience in a social enterprise overseas in Canada. You will be allocated a mentor who will support you to learn about the sector and develop your social venture. You will have the opportunity to connect with other talented students taking part in the programme, both in-person and on-line, throughout your placement.
The goals of the programme are:
- Provide opportunities for high-achieving, high-potential undergraduate students to learn about, and experiment with, social innovation and entrepreneurship through experiential learning in a workplace environment.
- Support and encourage student mobility and entrepreneurship amongst future leaders in social enterprise, providing opportunities for students from Canada and the UK to develop a social venture, learn from international experiences and bring that learning back to their university environment.
- Develop a network of emerging leaders in social enterprise in Canada and the UK.
Am I eligible
The Students for Social Impact placements are for students who:
- are British or Canadian permanent residents or citizens (for Northern Ireland domiciled only, holding a British or Irish passport)
- are currently enrolled at a UK or Canadian university
- have completed at least one year of their degree by June 2016, and are returning to the degree in September 2016
- are 18 years of age or older by 11 June 2016
- are able to live abroad (in the UK or Canada) for the duration of the programme
- have sufficient English fluency.
Does it matter what I am studying?
The placements are open to any current university student regardless of course of study. All that is required is an idea for a social venture to tackle a local problem or global challenge, an interest in gaining an international experience, and a letter of reference from your academic instructor.
Am I guaranteed a placement?
Unfortunately not. Only 10 placements will be offered in Canada, and 10 in the UK. This is a competitive programme for social enterprise leaders of the future. Get started on your application early and tell us why you’re a star candidate.
When does it take place?
When will the placement happen?
The programme will take place from around 13 June – 26 August 2016.
- 17 April 2016 – Application deadline
- 29 April 2016 – Successful students notified
- 1 – 31 May 2016 – Work visas, flights and accommodation arranged
- 13 – 17 June 2016 – Orientation and training
- 20 June – 26 August 2016 – Placements
- 29 – 31 August 2016 – Students for Social Impact Summit
What does it cost?
You will be expected to cover the costs of your flights between the UK and Canada. A stipend will be provided to cover accommodation and subsistence costs while on your placement.
Will I be paid?
A stipend will be provided to cover accommodation and subsistence costs while on the placement.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to pitch your social venture business plan at the Students for Social Impact Summit in August, and compete for a monetary prize.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply to the Students for Social Impact programme was 17 April 2016.