Why choose Ecuador?
Three English Language Assistants will be placed in Ecuador in 2019. They will work in Ambato,sometimes referred to as ‘the garden of Ecuador', experiencing life in the heart of the country.
Ambato is a city of around 350,000 inhabitants and is located in a valley of the Central Cordillera, two hours from Quito, in the shadow of the largest mountain in Ecuador and several active volcanos.
- The three assistants will be working for the same university – the Pontificia Universidad Católica in Ambato – and share accommodation. If you think you would enjoy being near other assistants, Ecuador may be the country for you.
- The duration of postings in Ecuador for the academic year 2019-20 will be confirmed as soon as possible. As a guide, postings in previous years have run from September/October until late June.
- Assistants will work 15 - 18 hours per week.
- There is no British Council office in Ecuador. Assistants will be placed directly at the Catholic University of Ecuador in Ambato.
- Accommodation is paid for by the university, as are utility bills.
- The university will reimburse visa costs at the end of the assistantship.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Ecuador, you must
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria
- have B1-level Spanish
- be available for the full period September 2019 to July 2020 (exact dates to be confirmed)
- be able to share accommodation (and potentially a room) with the other two assistants working at the university.
How much will I be paid?
The monthly allowance in previous years has been around USD $450 per month, and we expect this to be similar for 2019-20.
The cost of accommodation and income tax will be covered by the university.
What is the application timeline?
- February-April: applicants who pass the first stage of selection are invited to participate in a video interview. Applicants who are not successful at video interview may instead be offered a post in Spain.
- April: applicants find out whether they have passed the assessment stage.
- June: applicants find out whether or not they have been allocated to a country. Some may be placed on a waiting list.
Successful candidates take up their post in September or October 2019.
For more information, download our English Language Assistant lifecyle (PDF 800KB)
Will there be an induction course?
There will be a one-day pre-departure briefing in London on 24 June 2019. You will be expected to cover your own travel costs to and from the briefing.
Induction courses are normally held at the employing institution, the Catholic University of Ambato, before the placement. Our overseas partner organisation will give you details before you travel.
I'm currently a language assistant in Ecuador– can I apply again?
Language assistants in Ecuador cannot apply for a consecutive year in the same country, although they are welcome to apply to work in a different country.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.