View of Hong Kong Harbour
Hong Kong is a vibrant, dynamic and cosmopolitan destination.  ©

Bady Abbas, used under licence.

Spend 10 months working as a full time English Language Assistant in the high-rise metropolis of Hong Kong.

With no additional language requirements, this opportunity is open to final year students or graduates who would like to immerse themselves in Asian culture and cuisine, while bringing life to their students’ understanding of contemporary UK culture and language.

Am I eligible for a placement in Hong Kong?

To be a Language Assistant in Hong Kong, you must:

  •  fulfil the general eligibility criteria
  •  have graduated from university with at least a bachelor’s degree, and have your degree certificate by September 2023

Being fully vaccinated for Covid-19 will likely remain an entry requirement to Hong Kong for the foreseeable future. Applicants should consider this before applying. 

How many posts are available? 

There are 40 posts available in Hong Kong.  However, we expect a smaller number of posts (20-30) to be available to new applicants. The 2022-23 programme did not proceed and those with active applications on 27 October 2022 were offered a priority place on the 2023-24 programme. This means applications for Hong Kong will be particularly competitive this year.  

Our programme partners in Hong Kong hold valuable partnerships with specific UK Higher Education institutions. To help maintain these partnerships, priority will also be given to alumni of the following institutions, providing they pass our assessment criteria: 

University of Northumbria at Newcastle, Birmingham City University, Sheffield Hallam University, Nottingham Trent University, Coventry University, University of the West of England, University of Central Lancashire, University of Lincoln, University for the Creative Arts, University of Hull. 

When will I start my placement?

Posts in Hong Kong run from late August 2023 to end of June 2024. You must be available for the full period of appointment. 

Will there be an induction course?

A compulsory induction will be held upon arrival in Hong Kong which is likely to take place in September. You will receive details from British Council Hong Kong.

You should also be offered an observational period of a few days/weeks at the beginning of your placement, as well as continuous professional development during your post.

How many hours will I work per week?

You can expect to work approximately 40 hours per week Monday to Friday.

Please be aware that the number of hours and your specific timetable and working pattern can vary depending on the institution that you are allocated to.

What type of institution will I be working in?

The range of placements available changes depending on which institutions can host a Language Assistant. You can generally expect to work in a vocational education institution with students aged 15 to 24.

How much will I be paid?

You will earn around £1,800-2,000 GBP per month.

The allowance for Language Assistants varies from institution to institution and will be confirmed in your contract.

Please note that our overseas partners and employing institutions are ultimately responsible for setting the salary of Language Assistants and this amount should therefore be treated as indicative and may be subject to change.

In addition, all participants working in Hong Kong will be offered the following financial support:

  • a return flight to Hong Kong (paid for and arranged by British Council Hong Kong*)
  • a contribution of HKD 230 towards visa costs
  • the cost of mandatory hotel quarantine, if applicable for travellers from the UK at the time of entry into Hong Kong. 
  • staff accommodation at a discounted rate (around £580 per month)

*only for those flying from the UK. If you are travelling from another destination, flights will be reimbursed up to HKD 7,500 and must be arranged yourself.

Please note Hong Kong is considered to have a high cost of living. 

Will I need a visa?

The process of applying for a visa requires a significant time investment. We will supply guidance to support you in your application.

Please note that visa requirements can change at short notice, and the British Council cannot be held responsible for any changes to the visa process.

What holidays will I have?

In Hong Kong the academic calendar runs from September to July.  Typically, assistants can expect to receive the same school and national holidays as their institution.  Your institution will give you full details of your term dates when you begin your post.

Updated: 26/01/2023