Applications for the 2019-20 English Language Assistants programme are open now.
Why choose Colombia?
A post in Colombia will expose you to a culture far removed from that of the UK. Those who are willing to adapt to a different way of life can enjoy discovering Colombia and its warm and welcoming people.
- The majority of posts in Colombia are at university level, teaching English to students who are eager to develop their proficiency in the language.
- You will also be offered opportunities to take on more responsibility in the classroom, which will add to your professional development.
- Posts in Colombia run from July to May.
- You will be working 12-18 hours per week.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Colombia, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria
- have B1-level Spanish
- be available for the full period July 2019 to May 2020
- be aged over 20 by the time your placement starts
- be studying/have studied languages, literature or Latin American studies at university level
- have some teaching experience
- be flexible about the location of your post.
You cannot apply if you hold dual nationality with Colombia.
Where can I go?
Around 30 posts are available in Colombia each year. The location of the posts available in Colombia varies from year to year, depending on the needs of the host institutions and a range of other factors affecting the region. Therefore, it is not possible for applicants to state regional preferences within Colombia.
For details about recent locations, please read the 'Latin America - supplementary information' document in the downloads section below.
How much will I be paid?
The monthly allowance in previous years has been around COP $2,343,726 and we expect this to be similar for 2019-20.
What is the application timeline?
- February-April: applicants who pass the first stage of selection are invited to participate in a video interview. Applicants who are not successful at video interview may instead be offered a post in Spain.
- April: applicants find out whether they have passed the assessment stage.
- June: applicants find out whether or not they have been allocated to a country. Some may be placed on a waiting list.
Successful candidates take up their post in July 2019.
For more information, download our English Language Assistant lifecyle (PDF 800KB)
Will there be an induction course?
We will invite you to a one-day pre-departure briefing in London in late June or early July.
Induction courses are normally held at the British Council Colombia offices in Bogotá or at the employing institution. Our overseas partner organisation will give you details regarding the induction course before you travel.
I'm currently a language assistant in Colombia – can I apply again?
If you are currently working as an English Language Assistant in Colombia, you can apply for a consecutive year. For more information and to find out how to apply, read the 'Colombia consecutive year guidance notes' in the downloads section below.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.