Applications for the 2019-20 English Language Assistants programme are open now.
Why choose Belgium?
Belgium is a fantastic country that sits at the heart of European politics, being the home of both the EU and NATO headquarters. Well known for its chocolate, waffles and breweries, it also hosts the site of the Battle of Waterloo as well as many battles of the First World War. With three official languages, it provides a unique opportunity to live and work in a multi-lingual environment.
Our posts are in French-speaking Belgium, enabling you to practise your French every day, but gaining exposure to German and Flemish along the way.
- Posts in both secondary schools and higher education institutions are available.
- You should expect to be in post between 1 October to 31 May and work around 12 hours per week.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Belgium, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria
- have B1-level French
- be aged 35 or under.
Where can I go?
Approximately ten posts per year are available in Belgium in the Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles, which consists of Brussels and Wallonia. The number of posts in each area depends on demand from Belgian schools.
We recommend you research Belgium thoroughly before applying.
How much will I be paid?
You will earn approximately €870 net per month.
What is the application timeline?
- February-April: some candidates may be contacted if we need clarification on aspects of their application, or if a language test is required.
- April-May: candidates find out whether they have been allocated to a country or have been placed on a waiting list.
- May-June: candidates find out the location of their post from the British Council.
- July-August: candidates hear from the host school directly regarding the location and requirements of the job.
Successful candidates will begin their post in October 2019.
For more information, download our English Language Assistant lifecyle (PDF 800KB)
Will there be an induction course?
You will be invited to an introductory meeting in Brussels at the beginning of October.
I'm currently a language assistant in Belgium – can I apply again?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to stay for a consecutive year in Belgium. Current language assistants in Belgium are welcome to apply for an assistantship in any other country for which they meet the eligibility criteria. Please submit a new application using the online form.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.