Applications for the English Language Assistants programme will re-open in the autumn of 2018.
Why choose Argentina?
Argentina is a fascinating place, with so much more to offer than just tango.
As we currently have just eight posts available in Argentina and the country is big, you are unlikely to be located with other assistants. This means you will be able to completely immerse yourself in Argentinian culture and society.
- All posts in Argentina are for six months, from mid-March 2019 until September 2019
- There is an opportunity to work in a range of institutions from primary schools to universities.
- Assistants will work 12-18 hours per week.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Argentina, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria (EU citizenship, native-level English, etc.)
- have B1-level Spanish
- be available to work between March 2019 and September 2019
- Priority will be given to undergraduates on their compulsory year abroad who are studying Spanish on a dual-languages degree, so please ensure you state this on your application.
- Graduates are welcome to apply.
Where can I go?
As we do not expect to find out the location of the posts until shortly before departure, flexibility is encouraged.
Most posts in Argentina tend to be in towns or cities. However, you may find yourself allocated to a smaller town.
Applicants should be aware that there are often no posts available in Buenos Aires.
We offer you a unique experience in Argentina by varying the post locations from year to year, which means that, while it is not possible to select a specific region, it allows you to create your own individual journey while in Argentina
How much will I be paid?
The monthly allowance in previous years has been approximately ARS 4,600 gross per month and we expect it to be similar for 2018-19.
Assistants allocated to the Patagonian Region (including the provinces of La Pampa, Río Negro, Neuquén, Chubut, Santa Cruz and Tierra del Fuego) should expect to receive a slightly higher allowance due to the higher cost of living in the area. In previous years, this has been around ARS 6,900.
Will I be interviewed?
Candidates who pass the first stage of selection for posts in Argentina will be invited to take part in a video interview before being offered a post. This further assessment will take place on a rolling basis before April 2018.
Applicants who are not successful at video interview may still be offered a post in Spain.
When will I hear back?
- Upon applying, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your application.
- February - April 2018: You will be invited to participate in a video interview.
- April 2018: Candidates will find out whether they have passed the assessment stage by mid-April.
- June 2018: You will find out whether you have been allocated to a country or whether you have been placed on a waiting list.
- If successful, you will begin your post in March 2019.
Will there be an induction course?
There will be a one-day pre-departure briefing in London in late June or early July. You will be expected to cover your own travel costs to and from the briefing.
There will also be an induction course at the local British Council office in Buenos Aires or at the employing institution. Our overseas partner organisation will send details regarding the induction course before your departure.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.