Applications for the 2019-20 English Language Assistants programme are open now.
Why choose Argentina?
Argentina is a fascinating and diverse country, with so much more to offer than just tango.
- Completely immerse yourself in Argentinian culture and society: we have just ten posts available in Argentina, across different provinces of this vast country, so you are unlikely to be located with other assistants.
- All posts in Argentina last for six months, running from mid-March 2020 until mid-September 2020.
- The main institution where you are based will be a university or teacher training college where the students are training to become English teachers. Part of your work schedule may also include working in a secondary school. You will not be working in primary schools.
- Assistants will work 12-18 hours per week.
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Argentina, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria
- have B1-level Spanish
- be available for the full period March-September 2020.
Priority will be given to undergraduates on their compulsory year abroad who are studying Spanish on a dual-languages degree, so please ensure you state this on your application. Graduates are welcome to apply.
Where can I go?
As we do not expect to find out the location of the posts until shortly before departure, flexibility is essential when applying for an assistantship in Argentina.
Most posts in Argentina tend to be in towns or cities. However, you may find yourself allocated to a smaller town or more rural area.
Applicants should be aware that there are often no posts available in Buenos Aires.
You can specify a preference as to the region where you would like to be based, after you have been shortlisted for a post in Argentina. While all efforts will be made to meet your choice, we cannot guaranteed your preferred region.
How much will I be paid?
The monthly allowance is currently ARS 20,000 gross per month. Please note that Argentina experiences high levels of inflation, so the monthly allowance is likely to change considerably each year.
Assistants in the Patagonian Region (including the provinces of La Pampa, Río Negro, Neuquén, Chubut, Santa Cruz and Tierra del Fuego) may receive a slightly higher allowance due to the higher cost of living in the area. The current allowance in this region is ARS 25,000.
What is the application timeline?
- February-April: applicants who pass the first stage of selection are invited to participate in a video interview. Applicants who are not successful at video interview may instead be offered a post in Spain.
- April: applicants find out whether they have passed the assessment stage.
- June: applicants find out whether or not they have been allocated to a country. Some may be placed on a waiting list.
Successful candidates take up their post in March 2020.
For more information, download our English Language Assistant lifecyle (PDF 800KB)
Will there be an induction course?
There will be a one-day pre-departure briefing in London in late June or early July. You will be expected to cover your own travel costs to and from the briefing.
There will also be a two-day induction course at the Argentine National Ministry of Education offices in Buenos Aires upon arrival in Argentina. The Argentine National Ministry of Education will send details of the induction course before your departure.
I'm currently a language assistant in Argentina – can I apply again?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to stay for a consecutive year in Argentina. Current language assistants in Argentina are welcome to apply for an assistantship in any other country for which they meet the eligibility criteria. Please submit a new application using the online form.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.