Why choose Senegal?
Senegal is an ethnically and linguistically diverse country that boasts beautiful beaches and many national parks.
This will be an opportunity for candidates who can demonstrate their adaptability and motivation to work in this West African nation.
Am I eligible?
To become a language assistant in Senegal, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria (EU citizenship, native-level English, etc.)
- have a B2 level of French. See the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) for further details.
There is no age limit.
For 2018/19, there is a limited number of placements available in Francophone secondary schools administered by the French government.
How much will I be paid?
The salary will be confirmed in due course. Please check back soon.
Where can I go?
Three to five posts will be available in the academic year 2018/19 in Dakar and St Louis.
We strongly recommend you research Senegal thoroughly before applying so you understand more about the country, culture and its peoples.
When will I hear back?
January/February: you will receive an email from us confirming receipt of your application.
April: You will find out whether you have successfully passed initial assessment and will be invited to a further assessment telephone interview. Where a candidate’s language level is unclear in their application, a language test may be required at the further assessment stage.
May/June: You will find out whether you have been allocated to Senegal or are placed on a waiting list.
Will there be an induction course?
- You will be invited to a preparatory meeting (to be confirmed: either a face-to-face meeting or by webinar) run by British Council in June. This is an opportunity to meet other assistants, get advice on life in Senegal, personal safety and other relevant topics.
- There is also a compulsory one/two-day induction course in Dakar in late August/early September. The course will cover all necessary administration.
- An 'Essential Information' document along with comprehensive country notes for Senegal will be made available in December 2017.
Candidates wishing to apply for Senegal must read these before submitting their application. Please do not submit your application until these notes have become available and you have ready them in full.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.