Why choose Colombia?
A post in Colombia will expose you to a culture far removed from that of the UK. Those who are willing to adapt to a different way of life can enjoy discovering Colombia and its warm and welcoming people.
- The majority of posts in Colombia are at university level, teaching English to students who are eager to develop their proficiency in the language. A post in Colombia is therefore perfect if you want to gain further teaching experience.
- You will also be offered opportunities to take on more responsibility in the classroom, which will add to your professional development.
- Posts in Colombia run from July to May
- You will be working 12-18 hours per week
Am I eligible?
To be a language assistant in Colombia, you must:
- fulfil the general eligibility criteria (EU citizenship, native-level English, etc.)
- have Spanish language skills equivalent to B1.
Where can I go?
The location of the posts available in Colombia varies from year to year, depending on the needs of the host institutions and a range of other factors affecting the region. Therefore, it is not possible for applicants to state regional preferences within Colombia. For details about recent locations, please read the 'Latin America - Supplementary Information' document at the end of this page.
How much will I be paid?
The monthly allowance in previous years has been around $1,768,500, and we expect this to be similar for 2018-19.
Wll I be interviewed?
If you pass the first stage of selection, you will be invited to take part in a video interview before being offered a post. These interviews will take place on a rolling basis before April.
When will I hear back?
Upon applying, you will receive an email from us confirming receipt of your application.
February - March: You will be invited to participate in a video interview.
April: You will find out whether you have passed the assessment stage by mid-April.
June: You will find out whether you have been allocated to a country immediately or are placed on a waiting list (We have previously been able to allocate everyone from the waiting list throughout the summer, and hope to be able to do the same this year).
July: We or our overseas partners will tell you the location of your post.
Will there be an induction course?
We will invite you to a one-day pre-departure briefing in London in late June or early July.
Induction courses are normally held at the British Council Colombia offices in Bogotá or at the employing institution. Our overseas partner organisation will give you details regarding the induction course before you travel.
Back to the main English Language Assistants page.