Beijing skyscrapers
You will gain work experience with the UK government, while living in China. Photo ©

anthonychong, licensed under CC0 1.0 and adapted from the orignal.

Applications are currently closed.

What's it all about? 

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is recruiting temporary staff to work at the British Embassy in Beijing during summer 2018. 

We need Entry Clearance Officers and Visa Writers to assess, decide on, and process applications for visas to the United Kingdom. 

Varying contracts will be on offer, but you must be available to work for UKVI in China between March/April and September 2018 for three to six months.

If you are offered an Entry Clearance Officer position, you will also need to pass a one-week training course in Croydon or Beijing before starting your post in China. Dates are to be confirmed. 

Why should I go?

This is an opportunity to gain work experience with the UK government, while living in China and improving your language skills.

We will also provide an excellent package, including a net monthly salary of 12,479 Chinese RMB (approximately £1,425) paid at the end of each month, plus five per cent bonus on completion of contract, leave entitlement and an insurance plan.

You will need to pay for your flight and accommodation/living costs while you are in China. However, you will be given information and guidance about finding suitable accommodation in Beijing. 

Once you start a post in Beijing, you will be reimbursed for the cost of your Chinese visa application. If you need to complete the Entry Clearance Officer course, your salary will be backdated to cover the duration of this. 

Am I eligible?

  • British nationals, UK passport holders and spouses/partners from Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada holding ‘W’ (diplomatic) visas are eligible to apply.
  • You must be available to work in China between March/April 2018 and September 2018.
  • For security clearance purposes, you must have been in the UK for at least two out of the last five years (for diplomatic spouses/partners, this may not apply), if you are applying for a position as an Entry Clearance Officer.
  • It will help your application if you are a final-year student or graduate of a Chinese-related bachelor's degree (or higher) course. 

How do I apply?

Follow the links to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office job application page, where you will find full details of this opportunity and instructions to complete the online application:

Entry Clearance Officer

Visa Writer

When's the deadline?

The deadline was Friday, 17 November 2017.

How do I get in touch?

For further information on the Visa Writer and Entry Clearance Officer roles, please check the full job specifications carefully in the links above.

If you still need assistance, please contact the Foreign Office team by email.