Women and girls: Making a lasting difference
A critical reflection on the impact of the British Council’s work with women and girls from 2010 to 2015
This report helps to qualify and understand better the impact the British Council’s work is having on the lives on women and girls in three focus regions: Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Middle East & North Africa.
- Increased awareness and agency of women and girl
- Fairer access to resources and opportunities
- Supportive legal and policy environment
- Changes in attitudes, beliefs, practices and discriminatory social norms
- Dialogue, collaboration and collective action
Although we have focussed on programmes that have an explicit focus on women and girls or addressing gender inequalities, we also look across the portfolio to have a more holistic view of our work, and how all our work contributes to the empowerment of women and girls. This includes exploring some of our Arts and English & Examinations work.
The study also recommends how we can improve on our existing work in this area, and will help to further strengthen the positive impact of our on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls up to 2020.