The British Council is recruiting a qualified consultant to conduct research into what appears to be a mutually reinforcing connection between social enterprise and women’s empowerment. The research will cover five countries: the UK, USA, India, Pakistan, and Brazil.
The research study is expected to include the following:
- desk review of existing literature to ascertain the evidence (mapping/databases) and current narratives around women’s empowerment and social enterprise. This will include a review of globally significant research as well as research specifically in the named countries.
- significant qualitative research in each of the named countries to understand and interrogate the socio economic and cultural drivers that are shaping the interplay between women’s empowerment and social enterprise; and,
- recommendations at each country level and globally for those seeking to further the women’s empowerment and/or social enterprise agendas.
The outputs are expected to include:
- an introductory essay of 4,000 – 6,000 words.
- an overall findings report plus individual country reports, each of 4,000 – 6,000 words
- recommendations of 4,000 – 6,000 words
- an executive summary
Recruitment process and suggested timescales
Given the need for qualitative research, we need to ensure a methodology that works with local cultures and languages. Therefore it may be that best way to overall aims is for the research to be carried out by a consortium where where a global lead manages and engages with counterparts in-country. It may be that suitable consortia can form without our assistance, but in order to support that process, we will adopt the following recruitment schedule:
|Terms of Reference released||13 October|
|Interested consultants for global and/or local in country role to submit their contacts: organisation, named person, areas of expertise, contact details
AND Clarification / Questions from suppliers (Any questions should be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than 1700 GMT 26th October.)
|Circulation of contact details of all interested parties to aid consortia forming
AND clarification responses from the British Council
|Submission of bids||11 November|
|Selection of Preferred Supplier||18 November|
For more information about this project, the conditions, and work of the British Council to support women’s’ empowerment and social enterprise please download the below: Terms of Reference - Women’s empowerment and social enterprise research project
To apply, please also download, complete and submit the the below form Supplier Response - Women's empowerment and social enterprise research project
The application deadline is 11 November 2016.