You will not be able to use the List of Travellers visa scheme from 1 January 2021.

How does it work?

We issue the List of Travellers (or Visa Waiver Form) form in the UK, for school trips to countries in the European Union (EU) for pupils on the trip who are of a non-EU nationality.

The List of Travellers form allows the pupils to go on the trip without getting a visa. If the pupils on a trip are all from the UK or EU countries then the form isn’t needed.

Please note: The form cannot completely guarantee entry into a country. It is used instead of a visa but even a visa does not completely guarantee entry into a country. 

Immigration officials have the power to turn away visa holders. We also cannot guarantee that every immigration official will be aware of the scheme. It is the responsibility of each country’s immigration authorities to ensure their officials are fully trained and aware of any schemes such as this. 

Which countries accept the forms?

The use of the List of Travellers form has been officially accepted by the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland*, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway*, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland**

*Iceland and Norway are both members of the European Economic Area (EEA) which allows them to be part of the EU’s single market. 

**Switzerland is neither an EU or EEA member but is part of the EU’s single market.

If you are entering a country not listed you will need to contact the appropriate embassy to find out what is needed to enter that country.

Who can use the form?

The form can only be used in conjunction with a trip organised lead by a general education school or sixth form.

School children on the trip must meet the following criteria to use the form:

  • be a pupil at a general education school or Sixth Form College. Please note, Further Education (FE) colleges are not eligible to use the form
  • be on an organised school trip with their own school
  • be accompanied by a teacher from their school
  • have their own valid passport (in their own name). A pupil cannot travel on their parent’s passport unless they are accompanied by their parent, who would be required a visa from the relevant embassy.
  • be a legal resident in the UK. There should be evidence in their passport of leave to remain in the UK (for example, their UK visa or residence permit, or a stamp from the home office or immigration official).

Who cannot use the form?

  • Students at further education colleges or universities are not eligible to use the form.
  • Children cannot use the form to go on trips with other schools or with youth organisations.
  • Children cannot travel using a parent’s passport.
  • The form can only be used in conjunction with a passport or other valid travel document.
  • The group must be accompanied by a teacher from the school in question. They must be able to present the List of Travellers form detailing the pupils they are accompanying.
  • The forms can only be sent to schools and cannot be sent to private addresses.
  • Normally only the pupils who require a visa to travel would need to be listed.

How to apply

Applications must be made online at least two weeks before the date of departure.