We issue the List of Travellers form in the UK, for school trips to countries in the European Union (EU) for pupils on the trip who are of a non-EU nationality. The List of Travellers form allows the pupils to go on the trip without getting a visa. You may also hear it referred to as a ‘Visa Waiver Form’. If the pupils on a trip are all from the UK or EU countries then the form isn’t needed.

When was the form established?

The List of Travellers scheme started in 1994, following an agreement between all the EU member states at that time. These member states were Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

On May 1st 2004 another 10 countries officially joined the EU. These countries were Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

When they joined the EU these 10 countries agreed to EU laws, including the List of Travellers agreement.

Croatia, Iceland, Norway, Romania and Switzerland have since signed up to the List of Travellers agreement.

Which countries accept the forms?

The use of the List of Travellers form has been officially accepted by the following countries:





Czech Republic

























*Iceland and Norway are both members of the European Economic Area (EEA) which allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

**Switzerland is neither an EU or EEA member but is part of the EU’s single market.

We have obtained supporting letters from the embassies of these countries. We will provide you with copies to support the actual List of Travellers forms.

If you are entering a country not listed you will need to contact the appropriate embassy to find out what is needed to enter that country.

A directory of Foreign Embassies in the UK is available at: http://www.fco.gov.uk   

Please note that the form cannot completely guarantee entry into a country. It is used instead of a visa but even a visa does not completely guarantee entry into a country.

Immigration officials have the power to turn away visa holders. We also cannot guarantee that every immigration official will be aware of the scheme. It is the responsibility of each country’s immigration authorities to ensure their officials are fully trained and aware of any schemes such as this. However, we cannot guarantee that this has been done.

Very few trips experience problems, but if you are concerned then you can contact the appropriate embassies and speak to the immigration authorities at the ports you will be travelling through.

Who can use the form?

The form cannot be used as a visa waiver by anyone other than school children, and cannot be used for any trips other than those organised and lead by a general education school or sixth form. This would include non-EU teachers accompanying the trip who should contact the relevant embassy in order to secure a visa.

To use the List of Travellers any non-EU pupil must

  • Be a pupil at a general education school or Sixth Form College. Please note, Further Education (FE) colleges are not eligible to use the form
  • Be on an organised school trip with their own school
  • Be accompanied by a teacher from their school
  • Have their own valid passport (in their own name). A pupil cannot travel on their parent’s passport unless they are accompanied by their parent, who would be required a visa from the relevant embassy.
  • Be legally resident in the UK. There should be evidence in their passport of leave to remain in the UK (for example, their UK visa or residence permit, or a stamp from the home office or immigration official).

Important notes

  • Students at FE colleges or universities are not eligible to use the form.
  • Children cannot use the form to go on trips with other schools or with youth organisations.
  • Children cannot travel using a parent’s passport.
  • The form can only be used in conjunction with a passport or other valid travel document. Although the LOT form secures visa exemption, it cannot be used as a travel document.
  • The group must be accompanied by a teacher from the school in question who is able to present the List of Travellers form detailing the pupils he or she is accompanying.
  • The forms can only be sent to schools and cannot be sent to private addresses.
  • Normally only the pupils who require a visa to travel would need to be listed. If you are travelling to or through Germany then you need to will need to add the details of all pupils travelling on the trip.

How do I apply for the form?

Applications must be made at least two weeks before the date of departure. You can apply for the form online at http://listoftravellers.britishcouncil.org. The system will not allow you to complete an application if you are within two weeks before the date of departure. If this is the case then please contact us directly.