Bring Chinese language and culture to life!
With Mandarin Chinese set to be one of the most vital languages internationally, it has never been more important to connect young people in the UK with China.
Knowledge of China and Chinese culture opens up a world of opportunities for your students, and an ability to communicate in Mandarin can really make them stand out from the crowd.
Hosting a language assistant also means your school will automatically qualify for level 1 of the International School Award.
Applications to host a Mandarin Chinese language assistant in 2021-22 open on 15 February 2021 and close on 30 April 2021.
Chinese language assistants can:
- create lesson plans and source cultural learning resources
- support the teacher in class or work alone with small groups of students
- help to prepare pupils for set exams
- organise extra-curricular or classroom activities based on China and its culture (e.g. calligraphy, Tai Chi)
- help schools to set up partnerships with schools in China
- work across the curriculum to introduce Chinese culture through different subject disciplines.
Local authorities can also employ Chinese language assistants on a pro rata basis to run Chinese language clubs or taster classes in schools that are considering introducing Chinese to their curriculum.
What support is available?
Our customer services team and Modern Language Assistants booklet are available to provide institutions with advice on administrative matters and pastoral care.
Pre-departure training is offered to Chinese language assistants. The session covers:
How to apply
To host a Mandarin Chinese language assistant in 2021-22, you can submit an application using our online portal. Applications open on 15 February 2021.