Regional Communications Strategists: Strengthening Resilience
The British Council seeks two communications specialists to provide strategic and technical oversight to deliver the communications objectives of the Strengthening Resilience programme in two regions.
|Location||The Maghreb (Morocco,Tunisia ) or The Levant (Jordan, Lebanon) or UK|
|Duration||16 September 2019 - 15 September 2020 (option to extend to 31 December 2020)|
|Closing date||Thursday 05 September 2019|
About the project
The Strengthening Resilience - MENA II (SR2) programme is funded by the European Union and delivered by a consortium led by the British Council. It began with a pilot in 2015 and its current phase will continue until January 2021. It is under implementation in the Maghreb (Morocco & Tunisia) and the Levant (Lebanon & Jordan).
Resilience is the ability of individuals and communities to recover, keep going and grow through adversity. Resilient individuals are the “self-starters” who both take advantage of and create opportunities for themselves and others. Resilient communities use their social and political ties to negotiate solutions to the problems they face. The Strengthening Resilience (SR) programme aims to build young people’s resilience – their ability to “survive and thrive” whatever pressures and hazards they confront.
About the role
The Consultants will each be responsible for developing communication strategies in Jordan and Lebanon (Regional Strategist Levant) or Morocco and Tunisia (Regional Strategist Maghreb) which support programme communications and campaign specific objectives, drawing on industry standards and integrating the approach with activity from other relevant programme workstreams.
The Consultants will also provide technical support to Communications Managers in their respective country teams, review the quality of their work and guide them on industry standards and best practice. The Consultants will support the learning and capacity building of partners and team in communications and facilitate sharing of tools and knowledge for this purpose.
The Consultants will work closely with their counterpart in the Maghreb or Levant and with the Project Directors and Communications Managers in their respective countries. They will be accountable to the Programme Lead.
Workload: 15-20 working days/calendar month
Key qualifications and experience (full details in the RfP)
- Arabic (native or bilingual proficiency)
- French (professional working proficiency) – Regional Strategist Maghreb only
- English (professional working proficiency)
- Understanding of communications industry standards and best practice
- Proven experience designing, implementing and evaluating insight-led communications strategies and campaigns for behaviour change in complex socio-cultural contexts.
- Demonstrated experience of building trust and collaborative relationships and partnerships with government and civil society organisations in hard-to-reach or fragile environments in Lebanon and/or Jordan (Regional Strategist Levant) or Morocco and/or Tunisia (Regional Strategist Maghreb)
- Track record of building capacity of colleagues and beneficiaries through effective mentoring, coaching and training.
- Experience in successfully influencing and managing a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience implementing monitoring and evaluation tools and frameworks to measure and assess campaign impact.
Note: Applicants must have the existing right to work in either Jordan/Lebanon, or Morocco/Tunisia or UK.
How to apply
Applications for this opportunity are managed through the British Council e-tendering portal hosted at
Regional Strategist (Communications) – Maghreb (BC00988)
Regional Strategist (Communications) – Levant (BC/00989)
Applicants will need to create an account on the InTend portal (please note that only the yellow fields are mandatory). This process takes just a few minutes and is free of charge.
Once you have created an account, please follow the steps below to view full details of this opportunity and to submit an application:
- Navigate to the ‘Tenders’ tab on the portal and select ‘Current’.
- Click on the project title: ‘Regional Strategist (Communications) – Levant’ or ‘Regional Strategist (Communications) – Maghreb
- Click ‘Express Interest’ at the bottom and select the ‘ITT’ tab to download the full Request for Proposals, the Supplier Response form and the Pricing Approach form.
- Complete the two forms and upload using the ‘Attach Documents’ button.
- Click ‘Submit Return’ to submit your application.
- Clarification can be requested through the ‘Correspondence’ tab.
Contact email: email@example.com