The British Council Association is much more than just the alumnus association for ex-British Council employees.
What are we here for?
Originally set up as the British Council Retirement Association in 1979, the constitution was revised in 2001 to open full membership to all former British Council employees and serving staff and teachers and again in 2009 to 'friends' of the British Council.
Our overall aims are
- To enable Members to maintain contact with each other and keep up to date with the work of the Council
- To maintain active interest in and support the work of the British Council, to further its aims and to promote its better knowledge among the public.
- To assist and advise, where required, and to make representations to the British Council in matters concerning the interests of its former staff
- To co-operate, where required, with the British Council and its Benevolent Fund in relieving suffering, hardship and distress among former staff
- To encourage the interests of its members where appropriate, particularly in the areas of education, the arts and community service.
What do we do?
- Regular meetings in the Spring and Autumn are held, either at Spring Gardens or at a London venue with a talk being given on an aspect of the Council’s work or a subject of particular interest. The talk is either preceded or followed by a buffet lunch
- An evening reception is held in London once a year
- Meetings are held in Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow)
- Oral History Project – the Association manages a joint project with the British Council and British Library’s National Sound Archive to create an archive of recorded interviews with former staff concerning key periods and developments in the British Council’s history.
- Group theatre visits at discounted prices take place, regularly to the National Theatre,Old Vic and other London theatres and on occasions to the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays, the Theatre Royal, Bath and the Chichester Festival Theatre
- We maintain active links and share activities with other alumnus associations including FCOA, the DfID Association and the CDC Pensioners' Association
- Visits and outings are arranged to places of interest around the country.
- The Annual General Meeting is held in July with a speaker and lunch.
if you have any questions or concerns please get in touch.