During the Second World War we taught English directly to students and Allied serviceman. Although we usually used our own institutes, at times we had to be more flexible. When teaching in refugee camps we conducted lessons in the open air, using petrol tins for chairs, a door for a blackboard and limestone for chalk.
Teaching activities were reduced after the war. We began to focus on teacher training as well, which allowed us to reach a wider number of students with limited resources.
The budget expansion of 1956 led to an increase in both our own teaching staff and school subsidies, whilst allowing us to arrange teaching training courses in the UK.
Funding from the Overseas Development Ministry (now DfID) and from charitable foundations allowed us to expand our work in the poorer nations in the region. We delivered a range of cooperative and educational aid projects, such as English training in technical subjects.
We were able to run similar projects in wealthy nations by establishing ‘Paid Educational Services’, in which the national government would pay us to run educational projects. One of the first was the establishment of the English Learning Centre at King Abdul-Aziz University in 1975.