The Language Assistants programme has been running for 110 years. Throughout the year, our team are here and available able to answer your questions and provide advice on acting as a succesful host school.
New! Language assistant endorsement letters can help you persuade senior management that language assistants are a good investment.
These are available for both primary and secondary schools. Visit the 'downloads' section below to access the endorsement toolkit.
What support will we get?
With experience and expertise on our side, the British Council offers support and advice prior to a language assistant's arrival and also during their period of appointment. From selecting the perfect candidate to handling visas, we are here to support schools throughout the process and do not charge any programme fees to take part.
All language assistants hired through the British Council are interviewed and approved by our overseas partners. Recruiting through the British Council means schools can be safe in the knowledge that they will get year round advice and guidance.
By working with the British Council Modern Language Assistants programme, you will receive additional support throughout the year, including:
- Schools Online support forum
- support throughout the application process and prior to the assistant’s arrival;
- British Council administrative visa sponsorship for Modern Language Assistants from outside the European Economic Area;
- induction and training sessions for Modern Language Assistants upon arrival in the UK;
- possible additional training days provided by our UK partner organisations (Goethe Institut, Consejería de Educación, Institut Français etc.);
- exemption from paying council tax for Modern Language Assistants on the official British Council programme;
- an in-built support network of other British Council Modern Language Assistants in the surrounding area and across the UK;
- a yearly Modern Language Assistants booklet, covering many useful topics including preparation tips, initial admin support, activity ideas and information on life in the UK.
Our 'Downloads' section contains resources to ensure your language assistant succesfully integrates into school life, including an endorsement letter toolkit showing why a language assistant is a good investment for budget holders.
Language learning resources
The British Council also has a number of resources available to support language learning. Schools and assistants can access a range of our primary language resources, including our new Primary Languages Starter Pack.