Bring the world of language and culture alive in your classroom
Employing a British Council Language Assistant is a unique way to broaden your pupils' understanding of the world, improve their language skills and increase their cultural awareness.
Language assistants are dynamic, enthusiastic native speakers of French, Spanish, German, Italian and Mandarin Chinese who are usually undergraduates or recent graduates. As we recruit language assistants directly from the home countries, their language is up-to-date, the classroom resources they provide are relevant and authentic, and they will connect with your pupils on their level. Simply put, employing a Language assistant provides the kind of learning experience that cannot be found elsewhere.
Make a real difference
Language assistants will make a real difference to language learning in your school. They can help students learn how to be confident and adaptable, communicate in different ways and settings, make language learning more exciting, and even enhance teachers' knowledge of languages. In a secondary school, a language assistant can also:
- improve overall standards
- help students prepare for oral exams by providing conversational practice with a native speaker
- help to implement government policy on language learning
- encourage students to be more ambitious and outgoing, and to develop abilities to better communicate their own beliefs and view of the world
- help students to understand the UK’s place in the world
- help students to understand different cultures.
Employing a language assistant can also support international partnerships and enable your school to apply for the Foundation International School Award.