man flagging down bus
man flagging down bus ©

© Mat Wright

Here is a guide to living in the UK, to help you prepare for your departure from your home country.


IAESTE UK may be able to provide assistance to help you find accommodation but it is your responsibility to make sure you have booked (and if necessary paid any deposit) to confirm your accommodation.

It is important that you book accommodation immediately to make sure it is arranged for your start date. IAESTE UK cannot be held responsible for organising accommodation for you if you fail to do this.


The average temperature during the summer months ranges from 12-20 degrees centigrade across the UK. Light clothing is enough for the summer but bring waterproof coats, umbrellas etc for sometimes frequent rain. Winter is not often very cold but warm and waterproof clothing is recommended.

Clothing and Travel Equipment 

A few essentials for all students coming to the UK: formal dress is required (i.e. shirt and tie if you are male) when working in a company. We dress formally for work but work in a relaxed atmosphere. Students working in universities can expect to dress more casually but should come prepared for formal occasions. A sleeping bag and a backpack if you have one, will be very useful for weekends away.

Electrical Equipment

Make sure that any electrical equipment you bring with you will operate on a voltage of 240v AC, 50HZ. You will also need a three square pin adapter for your electrical goods to operate.

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC)

The ISIC Card is the most widely recognised student identification card and can be purchased in your home country/university.

Public Transport

IAESTE UK has Local Committees set up who offer support in each of the UK regions. Some of these are able to help meet students arriving into their parts of the country. The Local Committee will be in touch with you in advance if they can meet you.

However, for most trainees, you will need to make your own arrangements for onward travel from the airport to the town or city where your placement is based.

Have a look at our sister site Education UK to find out more about public transport.