IAESTE - Before you go ©

© Mat Wright

We’re here to help make your time in the UK as easy as possible.

Read below what important arrangements you need to make before coming to the UK. It’s important you read this information, particularly if you need to apply for UK entry clearance.

Acceptance Note

The Acceptance Note document is official confirmation of your IAESTE placement and acceptance giving full details of your employer’s name, address, and the dates you are expected for training. You should now establish contact with your UK employer to discuss details of your placement project.

Please complete the required sections at the bottom, sign and return to your National IAESTE Office within two weeks maximum.

You should keep a copy of this Acceptance Note for the full period of your traineeship.

Passport, visas and other official documentation

Before you leave your own country, be sure you have a valid passport.

For all IAESTE trainees your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you intend to leave the UK at the end of your placement. If your passport will expire before this time you must renew it before you travel or start your visa application. 

If you are in any doubt about the acceptability of your documentation to the British immigration authorities, contact the British Embassy or Consulate nearest your home for advice.

Further entry clearance issues

Non-EU/EEA trainees: visas

  1. UK Healthcare surcharge: All non-EU/EEA applicants must apply for (and in some cases pay for) the healthcare surcharge as the first step of the immigration application process via the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Healthcare website.
  2. Visa application: All non-EU/EEA applicants must obtain a visa to enter the UK via the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. Read carefully the information provided on the website and begin your visa application now. The process is very strict so you must complete your visa application according to the guidelines to prevent it being refused.
  3. Accession Worker Permit: (For nationals of Croatia only). All Croatian nationals must now obtain an Accession Worker Permit to enter the UK. Read carefully the guidelines and begin your permit application now via the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. The process is very strict so you must fill in your forms exactly according to the guidelines to prevent your visa application being refused.
  4. T5 Confirmation of Maintenance Form: You will require an original copy of this form to submit with your visa/permit application. This will be attached to the acceptance email, sent as a PDF form titled 'T5'. Make sure to print this out and take with you to any interviews.
  5. Certificate of Sponsorship: You will require this unique reference number to complete your visa/permit application. Please refer to the relevant application guidelines document for instructions.


Police registration

Any foreign nationals aged 16 and over admitted to the UK to work or study for six months or more will need to register with the police if they are a citizen of one of the following member countries:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen

Please check your visa stamp carefully once you enter the UK. This will tell you if you are required to register with the police.

If you don’t register any future immigration applications will consider that you didn’t register and your current leave can be shortened.

If your placement is in London

You must register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office if you live in an area of London covered by the Metropolitan Police.

Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) 

323 Borough High Street 


SE1 1JL 

Contact your local police station if you live in the City of London.

If your placement is elsewhere

Contact your local police station to find out where to go if you’re in:

England, Wales or Northern Ireland



Registering with the police costs £34. You can pay at the police station.

If you need to register, you should go to the nearest police station within seven days of your arrival in the UK or within 7 days of getting your biometric residence permit. with:

  • 2 recent passport size colour photographs
  • your passport with your entry visa vignette
  • your BRP (if you have one)
  • the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your status and the police force you’re registering with.

Change of circumstances

If you registered with the police you must tell them if any of the information you’ve given them changes. Contact the police station to check if you need to go in person.

If you registered at the Overseas Visitors Records Office, check what changes they need to know about and how to report them.

For further information please visit:

Non-EU trainees: travel restrictions

Please note if you hold a Non-EU passport and IAESTE UK has helped you to obtain the Tier 5 visa for your placement, you cannot travel outside the UK on this visa.

The visa allows you 28 days for travel outside of your work placement but this travel must be within the UK. If you travel outside the UK, you will be refused entry back into the UK by customs officials because your visa is for single entry only.

Trainees going to Northern Ireland

Non-EU/EEA nationals must enter Northern Ireland via a UK Airport / Port of Entry.

You can’t enter via the Republic of Ireland (ie. Dublin Airport) as there are no UK Customs Check Points at the border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland to stamp your arrival.

You will therefore not be allowed to work under the conditions of your visa and will have to exit the UK immediately in order to re-enter via a UK Port of Entry and get your documents stamped.

This will be at your own personal expense – IAESTE UK will not be responsible for failure to follow these instructions. Please ensure you have your Acceptance documents ready to present with your visa and passport.